BBQ on The Bricks at the top of Baker Center on Wednesday.

BBQ on the Bricks encourages conversation between police and students

The annual BBQ on The Bricks took place Wednesday evening outside Baker Center. 

The event, which is put on by the Joint Police Advisory Council, or JPAC, is designed to encourage informal engagement between police officers, Ohio University students and Athens residents, Ohio University Police Department Chief Andrew Powers said.

"JPAC brings together the community," Kim Castor, a member of JPAC and the director of Ohio University Survivor Advocacy Program, or SAP, said.

Students had the opportunity to talk to officers about any concerns during the event, but some in attendance confessed to showing up for the free food and the dogs — a fact that OUPD is very aware of. 

"The number one question we get is, 'Can I pet the dog?'" Powers said.

Leah Allan, a sophomore studying international business, hoped the event would help students respect police more and feel comfortable on campus.

Officers were seen chatting with students, faculty members and even a baby during the event. 

Cierra Smith-Carter, a freshman studying sociology pre-law, said she would like to talk to officers about the recent sexual assault cases and discuss what they are doing to combat it and how they can make women feel safer on campus. Other female students in attendance shared those same concerns.

For those concerned about the sexual assaults, Powers said OUPD scheduled events in residence halls to answer any questions and they are prepared to talk to anyone who is concerned or has questions regarding the topic, Powers said. 

Justine Orr, a freshman studying journalism, said OUPD’s recent Twitter statements make it seem as if police are actively doing something about the recent sexual assaults, but, outside of that, she doesn’t feel as if much is actually being done. 

“I hope that the officers prove they’re doing more for the women in our community,” Orr said. 

Groups such as My Sister’s Place, SAP and the Survivor Advocacy Outreach Program had booths set up at the event. Both survivor advocacy groups were there hoping to promote awareness of their programs and let students and residents know about the resources available to them. 

Powers was very pleased with the turnout of the event and said he was able to chat with and get to know many students, which was the goal of the event. He said that everyone in attendance seemed to enjoy the food and have a good time, which is what he’d hoped for. 

@snjournalism

sn148317@ohio.edu