Soda Fountain: 'Crazy Rich Asians' celebrates Asian culture

Crazy Rich Asians is no different from half of the romantic comedies that have come out during the past decade. 

It fits in well with the Hallmark theme of rich guy, poor girl, disapproving mother and a boatload of money. The movie follows Rachel Chu as she discovers her boyfriend, Nick Young, comes from a rich, aristocratic family in Singapore. Not only is Nick the heir of a company that owns most of Singapore, but he has women trailing after him everywhere he goes. Rachel accompanies Nick to a wedding where she has to navigate a week of snaring comments about her looks, glares from every available woman in Singapore and Nick’s controlling mother. But in the end, they get their happily ever after and party the night away. 

Even with the predictable plot, many people have been talking about this movie. It made $50 million in nine days, and that number has been climbing steadily into its fourth week in theaters. The love comes from the diversity of the cast. Crazy Rich Asians has the first fully Asian cast since Joy Luck Club in 1993. 

Crazy Rich Asians showcases the talent of Asians from all over the world, and it opens up a dialogue about Hollywood’s lack of diversity. As an Asian-American myself, this movie hit me in a way I didn’t know was possible. I was struck by the beauty of the scenery, seeing people that look like me and seeing Hollywood acknowledge a culture I related to. This movie pushes past the simple plot of a Cinderella story to make commentary on Asian culture.

From dumpling making to a conversation of Chinese traditions, the movie hits aspects of Asian culture in a way that has never been done before. And it’s a story many can relate to. Rachel is an Asian-American with American values. This ostracizes her from The Young’s traditional Chinese values. Nick’s mother makes it obvious Rachel would never fit in. Hearing this is like looking in the mirror for a lot of Asian-Americans, including me. The feeling of not being Asian enough for some while being too Asian for others is something Asian-Americans have dealt with for years. This was the first time I have seen those feelings get acknowledged. Growing up in predominantly white setting does not make someone less Asian, but it can feel like it does. And not being able to talk about it or see it in our culture makes people feel even more alone.

This movie not only means so much to Asians all over the word, but it is also a great step in the right direction for Hollywood. For years, the TV and movie industry has been criticized for its lack of diversity. It has been ridiculed for telling stories that leave out a great number of the  population or white-washing characters that could have brought diversity to the screen. White-washing or neglecting people of color has left many feeling like they do not have a say in our media and culture. This movie, and many others that have come out this year, have started to alleviate that feeling. 

So while this movie was just another cheesy rom-com about a girl falling for a guy out of her league and suffering the consequences, it also spoke to a group of people who have not had a voice in Hollywood. While Crazy Rich Asians did not tell the stories of every Asian out there, it is an amazing stepping stone to more representation in Hollywood. Since the movie’s release and its incredible draw in the box office, many Asian stories have had a chance to be discussed in Hollywood. And many more TV shows and movies with a diverse cast and complex character backgrounds will out come out thanks to Crazy Rich Asians.

Zula Baterdene is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Let Zula know by tweeting emailing her at zb338617@ohio.edu