Football: News and notes from Frank Solich's press conference

With preparation for this weekend’s trip to Virginia underway, Ohio coach Frank Solich addressed the media Monday to recap the bye week and preview the Bobcats’ matchup with the Cavaliers.

— On the open week and what was accomplished: “The open week was used by us in a manner that allowed our players to have some time off. I think that was beneficial in some ways, and I know, certainly, those guys that are banged up felt good about the rest they were able to get.”

— Solich addressed the predicted weather in Charlottesville for the weekend, with effects of Hurricane Florence looming large on the potential problems with this weekend’s game: “I haven't heard anything from Jim (Schaus), and I don't know if they've contacted him at all. As you go through the week and get closer to the game and if the forecast worsens or if it's a bad forecast for a game, there will be discussions by both administrations, and we'll go from there." 

— If the weather is bad, Ohio will have a gameplan. Solich says that’s why he has a strong running game, for times like rainy games.

"That's one reason we do like to make sure we have a fairly good running game,” Solich said. “You take into account the weather, and you never know wind factors or rain. Later in the year, it could even be snow. You know those factors aren't ideal in terms of throwing the ball, but if you have a solid or strong running game, you still have a chance to move the football in some way.”

— Solich confirmed Javon Hagan will practice this week, and Hagan is expected to play Saturday.

— Virginia quarterback Bryce Perkins is a large body, at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds. Solich knows Perkins creates a challenge for the Bobcats’ defense: “They use him as a runner coming off a traditional running style that you see quarterbacks coming off of now in terms of an offense. Then, they use him a lot in the option game, and he'll carry a ball around there. He can throw, which causes an extra problem in terms of that dimension. They'll have the availability to do that, weather permitting, of course. It's a huge challenge in that regard with multiple offensive schemes.”

— Solich said Ohio is a running football team, but he understands that talent lies in more than just the running back room: “We were at the top of the MAC last year in terms of points per game, and a lot of that came off of the running game. You've got to prove yourself every year, so the number of returning guys you have on your team — we've got a lot of offensive linemen returning, running backs, quarterbacks, receivers that all have game experience and were all a part of that last year.”

— The defensive line features new faces, and many of them are inexperienced. Solich is hoping the Bobcats can develop depth in the front seven throughout the season: "Well, we're hoping that that's going to be the case. Again, on the defensive line, I think we do have the depth that we can give the line to get rotation we need.”

— Ohio has played Power Five opponents in Athens before, and they will hope to continue to do that. Northern Illinois hosted Utah last weekend, and Toledo is hosting Miami (FL) this week. Power Five opponents are traveling to Mid-American Conference schools, and Solich wants that trend to stay.

“Getting them here is great. Obviously, they attract people into the stands. We do a pretty good job of putting people in the stands and appreciate all of the support that we do get. I think they're deserving of trying to get a power conference team here in Athens, and we've been able to do that to some degree. That will probably continue.”

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu