Ohio's Jamal Hudson pulls down an interception during Ohio's game against UC on September 22, 2018.

Football: Stock watch following Ohio's loss to Cincinnati

Ohio had a 21-point first half lead against Cincinnati, but the Bobcats ultimately lost 34-30. Ohio’s defense looked much improved for large portions of the game, and Nathan Rourke led the offense down the field early in the game. 

Whose stock rose? Whose stock fell? 

The Post’s observations are here:

Stock Up

Cameron Odom

After posting back to back 100-plus yard receiving games to start the season, Papi White was shut down by Cincinnati. He caught just two passes. 

Enter Cameron Odom, who had a career-high 114 yards receiving on five catches. Odom seemed to come up with the big catches Ohio needed, and he showed he can be the second option for Rourke.

Ohio’s secondary

After giving up loads of big plays against Howard and Virginia, Ohio’s secondary cleaned up its mistakes — or at least some of them. The Bobcats held Cincinnati’s offense in check throughout the first half, and they only gave up one big play to the Bearcats — it was a 77-yard touchdown pass that shifted momentum in the second half.

Ground game

Ohio still hasn’t had a 100-yard rusher yet this season, but its getting a balanced attack from A.J. Ouellette, Maleek Irons and Rourke, who led the way with 96 yards and a touchdown. Ouellette and Irons continue to split carries, and the duo has proven that two running backs are better than one. With a season-high 234 yards rushing as a team against the Bearcats, Ohio seems to have its rushing attack the way coach Frank Solich wants it to be.

Stock down

Pass rush

The Bobcats didn’t generate much pressure on defensively again Saturday. Cincinnati did throw multiple short routes that got the ball out of quarterback Desmond Ridder’s hands quickly. Still, Ohio is averaging just over a sack a game — the Bobcats have four on the season. The defensive line is thin and young, but will have to rush the passer to win in the Mid-American Conference.

Late game situation

Ohio had the ball near the goal line, down four, with fewer than two minutes remaining. On first down, Ouellette was stuffed at the 1-yard line. He thought he reached the end zone, but the play wasn’t reviewed. On second down, he was stopped in the backfield before Rourke’s third down pass was intercepted, allowing Cincinnati to run the clock out. 

Third down rate

Ohio is just 15 of 45 on third down this season, which is 109th nationally. Solich said that simply isn’t good enough during his Monday press conference. On the defensive side, Ohio can’t get off the field on third down. The Bobcats are 129th — last — in third down defense, giving up a first down 59 percent of the time.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu