Football: Your complete guide to Ohio vs. Howard

Come Saturday afternoon in Athens, college football will be back. Ohio will open its 90th season at Peden Stadium against Howard. 

Both teams have questions headed into the season; both have a natural want for victory. 

Ohio will look to improve after a disappointing end to the 2017 season, one in which the Bobcats fell in the last two weeks of the regular season, ending their chances of a trip to the Mid-American Conference championship game. But with plenty of preseason hype — both the media and the coaches picked them to win the MAC — and an offense returning eight of 11 starters, there is hope that Ohio can end its 50-year conference title drought. 

Beginning Saturday at 2 p.m. on ESPN+, we will start to find out if 2018 is the year. 

Here is how to follow along to the game, what you need to know from depth charts to the injury report, an updated guide to tailgating in Athens and predictions for game one of the season. 

Following along

How to watch: Beginning this year, the Ohio Athletic Department will have a large presence on ESPN+, as many live broadcasts athletic events will be carried exclusively on the new direct-to-consumer streaming platform. 

Ohio's ESPN+ schedule begins Saturday when the football team hosts Howard. Matt Stewart and former Georgia starting quarterback Hutson Mason will have the call. Fans can receive a free one month trial of the service and then subscribe to ESPN+ for $4.99 a month (or $49.99 per year) on ESPN.com or with the ESPN app.

How to listen: The game can be heard on the Ohio IMG Sports Network — Russ Eisenstein and Rob Cornelius will be behind the mic. The broadcasts are available online through OhioBobcats.com and TuneIn.com/OhioBobcats

How to find stats: http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/fball/2018-19/boxscores/20180901_qypj.xml

Injury Report

Players in italics are starters.

Out: WR Elijah Ball (knee), OL Cole Irland (knee), OL Adam Notestine (shoulder), WR Tyler Tupa (knee), WR Jerome Buckner (knee), DE Austin Conrad (foot), DE Juan Watkins (shoulder), LB T.J. Robinson (ankle), CB Jamal Hudson (leg), S Javon Hagan (undisclosed). 

Questionable: DE Antrez Baker (knee). 

Probable: WR Andrew Meyer, S De’Vante Mitchell, CB Tariq Drake. 

Depth Chart

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 11.31.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 11.48.52 PM.png

Tailgate report

With the opening of the Sook Center, the Bobcats’ fan experience will be enhanced. Fans can expect these changes. 

Bobcat Nation Pavilion: A new pregame fan fest area open to all fans, including Ohio University students, will be located along South Green Drive adjacent to the north end of Peden Stadium.

Peden Patio: This new concessions area under the Sook Center will include beer selections from Jackie O's, specialty jumbo pretzels, a deluxe hotdog cart and general concessions. 

Team store: The store is located near Gate 2 at the northwest corner of the stadium and includes a photo opportunity with a life-size Rufus bobblehead. 

Ticket office and entrance: The football ticket office is now located on the west end in the ground floor of the Sook Center. 

In addition, Gates 2 and 3 will be back in operation this season. Fans can enter any gate at the stadium, no matter the location of their seats.  

Score predictions

Pete Nakos: Ohio wins 48-24. The Bobcats get off to a fast start and pull their starters early, maybe even before the end of the first half. But quarterback Caylin Newton won’t let Howard be shut out or embarrassed. He’ll make it a semi-interesting game in the second half.

Spencer Holbrook: I think Ohio wins 55-17. The Bobcats’ offense might start slowly against that odd front from Howard, but it’ll right the ship in time to still blow out the Bison. Howard’s defense was terrible last season, and I expect big things from the Ohio offense.