Outside hitter Lizzie Stephens bumps the ball during Ohio's match against Florida Gulf Coast on Aug. 27, 2016. Ohio lost 0-3 to FGCU. (FILE)

Volleyball: Ohio can't contain Marshall in 3-1 road loss

Ohio knew its nonconference schedule was going to be daunting. It would prepare the Bobcats for any bumps in its Mid-American Conference schedule and, if it could pull off a win against any of the bigger opponents, send Ohio's confidence soaring.

But coach Deane Webb and the Bobcats might be a bit concerned that their nonconference schedule is a bit too tough after Wednesday. Ohio couldn't keep up with Marshall, a team the Bobcats have beaten nine times in the past 10 years, on Wednesday night at Cam Henderson Center, winning just one of four sets in the loss.

The Bobcats are now 2-5 after Wednesday's defeat.

Coulter kills the 'Cats

There was one player on Marshall's roster whom Ohio just couldn't contain.

Joelle Coulter was unstoppable. The freshman outside hitter registered a career-high 22 kills, the most kills the Bobcats have given up this season.

The Bobcats saw Coulter's hot swing more than any other player on Wednesday — her 22 kills accounted for roughly 40 percent of the Thundering Herd's 53 kills.

Ohio's attack countered with Lizzie Stephens and Jaime Kosiorek, who had 13 kills each but combined for 13 attack errors.

Jimerson's absence

Tia Jimerson received no time on the court Wednesday.

Jimerson had played in every set so far this season before Wednesday's match. The sophomore's 60 kills and .317 hitting percentage led the Bobcats before Wednesday, but her absence from the lineup against Marshall is unknown.

Filling her spot was Sara Januszewski. The junior, who had only appeared in 10 sets in 2018, notched nine kills and a .318 hitting percentage on Wednesday. She had just one kill, however, in the match's decisive fourth set, which Ohio lost 25-22. The Bobcats had a 17-13 lead at one point in the match.

Other notes

Set 1: Marshall (25-21)

Set 2: Ohio (25-21)

Set 3: Marshall (25-20)

Set 4: Marshall (25-22)

-The Thundering Herd out-dug the Bobcats 71-43 on Wednesday.

-Marshall's Amber Weber had 24 digs.

-Ohio and Marshall combined for 22 service errors.

-Ohio had seven aces, the most it's had in a match this season.

What's next

Ohio will host the Bobcat Invitational this weekend, its first home games of the season. The Bobcats will play Samford and Virginia Tech on Friday and IUPUI on Saturday.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu