Ohio's Isiah Cox hauls in a touchdown in the second quarter of the Bobcats' loss to Virginia at Vanderbilt Stadium on Saturday.

Football: Ohio defeated by Virginia 45-31

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Frank Solich preaches a lot of things: special teams, turnover battles and starting games fast. 

The coach saw a team start fast Saturday afternoon at Vanderbilt Stadium, but it wasn’t his Bobcats. Instead, it was Virginia who started fast with three touchdowns in the first quarter, enough to sink Ohio as the Cavaliers beat the Bobcats 45-31.

Virginia running back Jordan Ellis rushed for two touchdowns, and quarterback Bryce Perkins connected with Olamide Zaccheaus for an 86-yard touchdown pass. 

Ohio inched back in the second quarter and throughout the second half. The second quarter saw the Bobcats score two touchdowns in a 37-second span to make it a 38-21 game at halftime. The second score was setup by a successful onside kick. 

Nathan Rourke had his first long run of the season, a 70-yard carry to setup a Maleek Irons touchdown. It was Irons' first touchdown since Nov. 3, 2016, when Ohio beat Buffalo. 

Rourke was 16-of-31 for 246 yards and two touchdowns. He rushed for 41 yards. 

Irons carried the ball 11 times for 43 yards and two touchdowns. 

In the second half, the Bobcats held the Cavaliers scoreless until the 6:01 mark in the fourth quarter. But Ohio didn't take advantage of its defense stepping up, not scoring a point until a 45-yard field goal with 2:59 to go. 

Solich had to be pleased with the turnover battle, though. Ohio forced three turnovers, all fumbles, and scored 10 points off of them. 

News and notes

• Jerome Buckner debuted for the Bobcats with two receptions and wearing No. 8. He left the game in the third quarter with a shoulder injury.
  • Saturday marked the third straight game that Papi White had 100 receiving yards in a game. 
  • After saying that both Rourke and Quinton Maxwell would share time at quarterback Saturday, Maxwell didn’t play a single snap. 
  • This is the sixth straight year that Ohio has lost to a Power Five school.

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu