Ohio's Chukwudi Chukwa strips Virginia quarterback Bryce Perkins during the second quarter of the Bobcats' loss at Vanderbilt Stadium on Saturday.

Football: Fast reactions from Ohio's loss to Virginia

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Ohio was down 28 at one point on Saturday, battled back, but ultimately fell to Virginia 45-31 at Vanderbilt Stadium.

The Bobcats cut the Cavaliers' lead to 10 in the third quarter, but couldn’t stop Virginia’s offense late in the game. Ohio dropped to 1-1, while the Cavaliers improved to 2-1.

1. Quick strikes doom Bobcats early

Virginia had three one-play scoring drives in the first quarter, and it opened up a quick 21-7 lead. On Ohio’s second play from scrimmage, Nathan Rourke was sacked. He fumbled, and the Cavaliers recovered. Virginia’s Jordan Ellis scored an 18-yard touchdown on the next play. After an Ohio three-and-out, Cavalier’s quarterback Bryce Perkins found Olamide Zaccheaus on a screen pass. Zaccheaus  — who set a Virginia single-game receiving record with 247 receiving yards — slipped a tackle and raced 86 yards for a touchdown.

Ohio responded to cut the lead to seven, but Jordan Ellis scampered 75 yards for a touchdown on the first play after the kickoff. 

2. The return of Nathan Rourke

After an underwhelming three drives against Howard, Rourke was pulled in favor of Quinton Maxwell. But against Virginia, Rourke showed flashes of his 2017 self. He finished the day 16-31 for 246 yards and two touchdowns. He also rushed for 41 net yards, including a 70-yard run to put the Bobcats in scoring position. They scored a few plays later.

Rourke appears to have put the struggles of Week 1 behind him.

3. Defensive struggles

Although the Bobcats got cornerback Jamal Hudson and captain safety Javon Hagan back, they struggled to stop the Cavaliers offensive attack. Virginia had 552 total yards, and 354 of them came in the first half alone.

Virginia had three scores of over 70 yards. Perkins finished with 379 yards through the air and three touchdowns. Zaccheaus had a 77-yard touchdown catch and run to compliment his 86-yard grab earlier in the game. Perkins and Zaccheaus torched the Bobcats throughout the game, and Ohio had no answer.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu