Courtesy of Cincinnati Athletics.

Football: What to know about Cincinnati

Ohio (1-1) heads westward to Nippert Stadium to take on in-state rival Cincinnati (3-0) on Saturday at noon. In Week 3, the Bobcats started slow against Virginia and could never recover, falling 45-31. Meanwhile, the Bearcats stomped Football Championship Subdvision Alabama A&M 63-7. 

Here’s what to know about this week’s matchup with Cincinnati:

All-time series: Cincinnati leads, 23-23-4.

Last time they played: Oct. 10, 1981. The Bobcats fell to the Bearcats 19-9 at Peden Stadium, which was their first road win since 1978. Running back James Bettis rushed for 167 yards and two touchdowns, while Ohio could only come up with six rushing yards. 

The Cincinnati report: In just his second season at Cincinnati, coach Luke Fickell has reenergized the Bearcats fan base.

With a win at the Rose Bowl against UCLA and a pounding of Mid-American Conference foe Miami, Cincinnati finds itself at 3-0 and with the No. 3 ranked defense in the country among 129 Football Bowl Subdivision schools. 

Allowing 228.7 yards per game and just eight points per game, the Bearcats have almost reached their sack total from last season. It’s a complete turnaround compared to a season ago, when they allowed upwards of 420 yards a game. 

Offensively, Cincinnati’s success will come in running the football. It's rushed for 791 yards and 11 touchdowns. The Bearcats pulled their starting quarterback after the first quarter against UCLA, and since then have played redshirt freshman Desmond Ridder. Still, they’ve passed for only 487 yards on the season. 

How Ohio beats Cincinnati: The Bobcats beat Cincinnati by stoping the rushing attack. If they do so, the Bearcats will be forced to throw the ball, which they’ve found little success doing. If Ohio wins, the secondary will have to show growth. The Bobcats will have to score, too, and that will come by establishing a running game against one of the best defenses in the country. 

Player to watch: No. 96, Cortez Broughton, defensive tackle

The senior leader on the defensive line, he’s been an integral part of Cincinnati’s turn around this season. In just three games, he leads the team in sacks (2.5) and tackles for loss (6.5). 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu