Police Blotter: OU student passes out in doorway; wedding's fireworks and music deemed too loud

Sometimes, you can get too tired after a night out.

On Saturday at about 1 a.m., an OUPD officer observed a student walking and running in zig-zags on College Green. 

His head was falling backward as he walked “as if he was falling asleep,” according to the report. He was arrested for underage consumption and transferred to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail. 

That was one of three alcohol-related incidents that occurred over the past weekend.

Passed in the grass

On Saturday at about 2 a.m., OUPD received a call for a report of a student passed out in the grass behind McCracken Hall. 

The officer found the student had bloodshot eyes, was slurring his speech and smelled of alcohol. He was transported to the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail and cited for disorderly conduct by intoxication. 

Doorway of life

A resident assistant in Tiffin Hall called OUPD for a report of a student passed out in the doorway of a room on Sunday at about midnight. 

The officer observed he had bloodshot eyes, was slurring his speech and smelled like alcohol. He was charged with disorderly conduct by intoxication and possession of marijuana paraphernalia. He was taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail pending his sobriety. 

Here comes the bride

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched on Saturday for a loud party complaint. 

The party turned out to be a wedding celebration on Coolville Ridge Road. The bride told deputies a fireworks show was over and the music was wrapping up. Deputies advised her “to cut the volume back on the music” since it was disturbing the neighborhood. No other issues were reported. 

Phone thief

On Thursday, the sheriff’s office responded to Allen Veterinary Clinic in The Plains for a theft report. An employee reported that a phone had been stolen from the front counter where patrons had been. 

Deputies made contact with the last customer in the clinic, and she denied taking the phone, according to the report. No other leads were available at this time.

Into the weeds 

The sheriff’s office received a report regarding a marijuana plant on Friday.

The plant was found on a business client’s property while doing a cleanup in the woods. Deputies went to the property and seized the plant. 

Never too late

Last Wednesday, the sheriff’s office took a report of a stolen firearm from a resident on Buckley Run Road.

According to the report, the incident happened three years ago and the victim felt it needed to be reported. The information was taken, and the case was closed pending discovery of any further investigative information.

Put a ring on it

The sheriff’s office took a theft report of a ring that was stolen on Friday.

The man was unable to give a description of the ring, and no suspects were identified. The case was closed pending further investigative information.

Identity issues

On Friday, the sheriff’s office took a report from a woman in The Plains regarding a potential identity theft issue.

She said she had received a phone call on the past few days from Delaware County saying that her phone number and address were provided to them as a valid means to reach a woman on a case. The woman said she was not familiar with the subject of the case.

According to the report, she also received a letter from a retirement company stating that they had become aware she was deceased. The woman corrected the record with her retirement, but she requested the events be documented in case someone was attempting to steal or use her identity.

@JackieOu_ohyeah

jo019315@ohio.edu