A Lego enthusiast built a wheelchair for a turtle with a broken shell. (Photo via @LaughingSquid on Twitter)

Fun News Friday: Man slapped by octopus on kayaking excursion; Injured turtle receives Lego wheelchair

Although there were many contentious headlines in the news this week, there were also some funny and strange ones. Here are five fun news headlines to bring you into the weekend:

Octo-slap

Kayaking is fun. New Zealand is beautiful. Even seeing water-dwelling wildlife can feel magical. However, one kayaker had all of those things and it still went wrong. 

While on a kayaking excursion this week off an island in New Zealand, Kyle Mulinder saw a octopus and seal fighting. As he approached the scene, he quickly became part of the fight when the octopus attached onto the bottom of the kayak and the large seal struck Mulinder with the octopus’ tentacle. 

The fiasco was all caught on camera by Mulinder, and the video has gone viral on twitter.

Get creamed

Salad cream is here to stay. 

Heinz previously announced that it would rebrand salad cream to sandwich cream in June to better reflect the use of the product. Yet, after fans threatened to boycott the brand if the name change happened, Heinz has decided to stick with the original title. 

It was found that 87 percent of fans wanted the name to stay, according to a survey by the company. The fans rejected any other names such as fish finger sauce and roast potato sauce.

Damaged goods

After a wild box turtle was found in Maryland with a broken shell, some good samaritans rigged the little guy up with a Lego-brick wheelchair.

An employee found the turtle and eventually enlisted a lego enthusiast to make the wheelchair, which the wild box turtle quickly and happily adjusted to, according to the Maryland Zoo.

Life-size lego creation

In Australia, a Lego lover broke a world record by constructing a life-size replica of a 1973 Viscount Royal, which is a camping trailer. 

The trailer replica was made out of 300,000 lego bricks and beat the previous record by 73,472 bricks. The previous record-holding Lego replica was a caravan.

"At first I thought making the windows would be hard because they're very large on both ends but what surprised me was building the roof," •Ben Craig, the primary builder of the trailer, told the Brisbane Times. "We thought it would take one week but it turned into five weeks."

@sarahmpenix

sp936115@ohio.edu