A member of the DJ duo Get Weird hypes up the crowd during its set. (Provided via Kevin Pan for the Athens Block Party.)

Athens Halloween Block Party will feature only one stage this year

The Athens Halloween Block Party will feature only one stage this year.

Due to a lack of sponsorship, the South Stage that has traditionally featured a lineup of local DJs will not be present on Court Street during Saturday’s festivities.

“We depend on sponsorship money from local businesses,” Clean and Safe Halloween Committee Chairman Jonathan Holmberg said. “This year, there just wasn’t as much support as we’re used to getting.”

Because the block party is organized by volunteers and has no explicit source of income, the stages are funded by sponsorships from businesses. Organizers of the South Stage were unable to secure a sponsorship this year, and therefore were unable to fund the production.

Holmberg said smaller crowds in recent years may have contributed to difficulties in securing sponsorships this year. In the past, two or even three stages were necessary to spread out the many people that flooded Court Street for the block party.

“The city itself feels that Halloween is much more manageable than it used to be,” Holmberg said. “The fact that we’re only having one stage this year only affects where the focal point of the party will be. Instead of two locations, it’ll just be one.”

The North Stage, which typically features several local bands, will still be in its usual place near Broney’s Alumni Bar and Grill.

Holmberg said the committee hopes to find new sponsors and reinstate the South Stage in future years.

@adeichelberger

ae595714@ohio.edu