Season two of ‘Big Mouth’ was released on Netflix October 6. (Photo via @johnmulaney on Instagram)

TV Review: Here are all 10 episodes of ‘Big Mouth’ season two ranked

The second season of the Netflix original Big Mouth was released on Oct. 5, and it’s just as good, if not better, than season one. This season really focused on character development, important issues regarding sex and hormones and explained a lot more of the origins of the hormone monsters. Here’s how the episodes ranked on a scale from worst to best:

10. “Am I Normal?”

The season opener tied up a lot of loose ends, but that’s about all it did. The pillow gag with Jay (Jason Mantzoukas) and the bed pillow he knocked up was one of the best parts of the first season. So when the season opened up with Jay stealing another pillow, it was certainly a crowd pleaser. Season one also ended with Nick (Nick Kroll) finally getting a hormone monster of his own, and while he is happy about finally hitting puberty, he isn’t too thrilled with the company of his hormone monster. This episode wasn’t terrible, but it did fall flat.

9. “Steve the Virgin”

This episode switches most of its focus to Coach Steve (Kroll) and his indecision on having sex with Jay’s mom. It even goes as far to show Steve singing the theme song and adding in crude comments between every line. The episode ultimately resulted in one of the most awkward sex scenes to ever exist. Nick forces Andrew (John Mulaney) to go on a double date with him so that Nick can date this popular girl, although Andrew is forced to double with an annoying girl. Jessi (Jessi Klein)’s bad behavior is also introduced, which proves to be a common theme for the season. This episode isn’t terrible, but it certainly doesn’t have the hilarious components that Big Mouth is famous for. 

8. “Drug Buddies”

When Nick and Jessi get high together after stealing her dad’s gummy edibles, the aftermath is nothing short of hilarious. While Nick and Jessi desperately try to find food and seek out Missy for shelter, Andrew is dealing with Lola and trying to find the courage to break up with her. While this episode has the quality Big Mouth jokes that the audience is so accustomed to, it also ends on a really melancholy note. Jessi’s dad is kicked out by her mom, leading Jessi to a dismal conversation with the shame wizard. This was definitely one of the more serious episodes, touching on divorce and drug addiction.

7. “What Is It About Boobs?”

For all the girls watching this show, this episode will resonate really well as it was about people who develop boobs faster than others. It also focused on how the boys react to the boobs, and how the girls feel insecure about whether or not they have large or small ones. Aside from the main focus of boobs, it also talks about normal body image issues and feeling insecure about different parts of your body, which usually starts around the age you hit puberty. The whole idea about men worshipping women’s breasts is made into a hilarious scene with Andrew going to the field of boobs, but ultimately understanding how insecure girls feel about boobs, which was so cute and sensitive of him. The episode almost perfectly captured what it’s like for a girl and her friends to start noticing boobs and their own bodily insecurities. It was very female empowering and body positive, accompanied by a musical number from the hormone monstress. Any episode where the hormone monstress gets ample screen time is a good episode.

6. “Guy Town”

If you’re someone who likes easter eggs in TV shows, this episode will please the season one fans. It’s girls versus guys when the boys help Jessi’s dad move in to the Guy Town apartment complex, which is solely made for men. The girls all turn against Andrew for humping and dumping Lola. Nick finally gets his new hormone monster who is training. Matthew gets into a “gay brawl” with one of the members of Guy Town, which makes him reevaluate his attitude. Andrew is also promoted as the “weekly pimp” by Jay’s dad, which is like watching the most awkward person you know try to be cool. This episode reeks of ironic toxic masculinity and there were ample clever cracks. It ended with all loose ends being tied, including Nick finally kissing Gina. It was definitely a decent episode.

5. “The Shame Wizard”

This episode perfectly captures going through an awkward situation where you just want to crawl into a hole and never leave. Andrew is caught masturbating to Nick’s sister, by Nick’s sister. Mortified, he leaves and is tormented endlessly by the shame wizard while trying desperately to avoid talking about it with his friend. The shame wizard then becomes part of multiple episodes throughout the season. Meanwhile, Nick is desperately trying to win over Gina (Gina Rodriguez), who is currently in a relationship. One of the most clever things that this show does is references Netflix, or the fact that some characters voice multiple people. This happens with Nick and Coach Steve, who are voiced by the same actor, Nick Kroll. Complete with awkward encounters, Netflix jokes and determining the friendzone, this episode was extremely well put together. 

4. “Smooch or Share”

This episode is the continuation of “Dark Side of the Boob,” where the kids are at a school lockdown. While the shame monster is finally distracted, the gang decides to play smooch or share, which is a combination of spin the bottle and truth or dare. The kids all deal with their shame in various ways but finally bond over the fact that they are fed up with the shame wizard’s degradation. The shame wizard is banished and we see the world without shame. The ending is particularly intriguing because Jessi is approached by what seems like a new hormone monster after dumping her old one. The mysterious ending combined with the lack of shame made this episode one of the season’s best.

3. “The Planned Parenthood Show”

In this episode, the class tries to explain Planned Parenthood through various skits. The first skit by Missy (Jenny Slate) focuses on cancer screenings, leading a Star Wars-type of expedition. Missy’s is obsessed with Nathan Fillion, which is totally relatable. When Fillion makes an appearance in this skit, I was so excited. The second skit focuses on the different types of contraception, explains what they are and which ones are the best to pick, which is shown through The Bachelorette with Leah. The third skit focuses on Dr. Birch’s vasectomy, which is told exactly like Dr. Birch’s character — uncomfortable and sharing too much information. The fourth skit centers in on Andrew’s mom and how she had an abortion before she met Andrew’s dad. It’s told through a song montage to “Groove is in the Heart” by Deee-Lite. The final skit is a scary telling of STDs with Andrew getting Blue Waffle. It is shown through a parody combination of the movie Get Out and a zombie film. It explains how planned parenthood also tests for STDs. This episode was very creative and a great easy form of education about some of the other benefits of Planned Parenthood. Although this episode will certainly be considered controversial, it was definitely a standout from both seasons.

2. “Dark Side of the Boob”

The hormones are raging, the shame wizard is working his dark magic and Gina ends up getting slut shamed because she lets Nick touch her boob. This episode was the most dreadfully nostalgic to middle school lock-ins. The gossip, rumors, insecurity and jokes about popular kids perfectly represent the horrible, awkward and confusing age. The shame wizard, who was arguably the most clever addition to the show, has the most screen time in this episode. This episode gives the greatest insight into every individual’s particular shame. The idea and execution of this episode was absolutely spot-on and one of the best.

1. “The Department of Puberty”

Andrew, Nick and Jessi discover the portal to the hormone monster’s world and go inside. This episode is the most creative episode I’ve ever seen. First of all, it covers biphobic behavior and Jay coming to terms with his sexuality, which completely unexpected. Next, it shows the embodiment of depression and how Jessi is depressed and needs to be saved by her friends and the hormone monstress. The cartoon perfectly embodies the feeling of depression and how it’s a serious struggle to fight with your depression, which was such a clever and amazing way to do it. The season finale ends with Andrew maturing into the fact he doesn’t have to masturbate whenever he feels the urge and can wait and do it at an appropriate time. Nick finally masturbates for the first time with the help of his new hormone monster — or should I say Connie the hormone monstress. The season finale was without a doubt the best episode of the season.

Big Mouth season two is available to stream on Netflix.

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu