Five holistic cold remedies that won't break the bank

With the cool months settling upon us and illness circulating, we may catch ourselves suddenly plagued by coughs, sniffling, sneezing and body aches. Getting sick is part of life, but feeling under the weather during school or work can simply apply unneeded stress. When a cold gets you down this season, there is no need to pay full price for over-the-counter relievers. Make a speedy recovery bearable by sticking to holistic cures. Knowing a few tried-and-true remedies will soothe your symptoms without breaking the bank. Here are some cost-friendly ways to naturally kick off a cold this fall season: 

Water. Water. Water. 

When we come down with a cold, people always say “drink A LOT of fluids.” The long standing advice proves vital importance during recovery, and it can be free. Staying hydrated will drown a cold by flushing out germs and harmful toxins. To amp up your recovery, try incorporating immunity-boosting elements, such as lemon and mint, for an infused water remedy. Avoid all alcohol, caffeine and soda because they can dehydrate the body.

Think steam

Stuffed up? Scratchy throat? Draw a hot bath or shower stat. Spending just 10 minutes inhaling steamy air may loosen up congestion and clear nasal passages. A hot steam session will not make your cold disappear, but it will surely provide relief to your symptoms. 

If you can stand it, drink apple cider vinegar (ACV) 

When recovering, healing comes from the inside. Adding just a tablespoon of ACV to a glass of water will alkalize the body. Creating an alkaline environment for the body is essential for healing processes. Although the taste scares most people away, think of the concoction as a punch of Vitamin C and acids that will fight off congestion and phlegm that frequently come with colds. A full liter (32 oz) of apple cider vinegar is typically priced at stores for less than $5, making it a cost-friendly remedy for your quick recovery. 

Drink green tea

Due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, there’s a reason why green tea is touted as being one of the healthiest beverages for centuries. With illness circulating, drinking a few cups of the tea daily can reduce and prevent the severity of your symptoms. Not only will the compounds found in green tea protect healthy cells from infection, it can directly kill virus and reduce the duration of a cold. Incorporating green tea proves a cost-effective approach during recovery.

Vitamin C For The Recover-y

Vitamin C is crucial for your fragile immune system right now. Getting your daily dose proves most affordable through diet instead of top-dollar supplements. Foods with the most potent percentage of vitamin C include oranges, strawberries, yellow peppers, kale, brussels sprouts and lemons. If you do not have access to fresh produce, pick up some EmergenC at your local drug store. The cold-buster comes with 1,000 mg of Vitamin C within each packet and can be found for under $5.

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu