The Court Street Mocha, the signature drink of local coffee shop, Court Street Coffee.

Signature coffee drinks around Athens to spice up the fall season

Fall is here, and we all know what that means: The colorful leaves changing? The pumpkin picking? The Halloween movie marathons? No, it’s the new, seasonal coffee drinks. Coffee shops around Athens are revamping their menus and incorporating all the fall flavors of cinnamon, pumpkin, nutmeg and apple cider. All drinks are available with soy, coconut or almond milk upon request, so even if you pass on dairy, you can still get in on the latest hypes. From thin-mint to cinnamon roll lattes, we’ve got you covered on the best options to get your fall fix:

Donkey Coffee and Espresso  — Thin Mint Latte ($4.45)

Stop No. 1 was Donkey Coffee, 17 W. Washington St. The buzzing atmosphere never disappoints and is always accompanied with an amazing music selection. The cafe’s seasonal menu includes a few drinks such as Chaider (apple cider mixed with chai) and Pumpkin Chai Latte. But when I saw the words “Thin Mint Latte,” I could not pass this drink up. Since the day was particularly hot, I requested the order iced and paired with coconut milk. If you love chocolate goodness with hints of mint, this is the fall drink for you.  

Court Street Coffee — Cinnamon Roll Latte ($3.95)

Court Street Coffee, 67 S. Court St., offers a peaceful study atmosphere and friendly baristas who always welcome customers with warm smiles. I frequent to the spot quite often and was eager to test its fall signature selection: the Cinnamon Roll Latte. Simply put: proceed with caution with this drink because addiction may arise. The cinnamon spice is certainly distinct but tastes like fall in the best way possible. Lay out a blanket on College Green, watch the leaves fall and grab this delectable drink. 

Front Room Coffeehouse — Pumpkin Spice Latte ($3.25)

Come fall, latte-drinkers unite to celebrate the most monumental time of year: pumpkin spice latte season. Walking into Front Room Coffeehouse on the fourth floor of Baker Center, I decided to pull the trigger and order my first PSL, not of the season, but of my entire life. As a usual black-coffee loyalist, it was finally time to cross over the uncharted territory and uncover the truth about the glorified seasonal hype. The air was crisp, so I ordered the drink hot to warm my chilly walk to class and passed on the caramel syrup. After a few sips, I decided the taste was too sweet for my palate and the spiced notes of pumpkin and cinnamon did not complement well. Although it was the most basic of the drinks, you can never go wrong with this iconic fall drink.

Starbucks — The “Bobcat” Drink ($3.45)

If you are still clinging onto summer, this one’s for you. The Bobcat Drink may not radiate fall vibes, but it certainly pleases the OU heart. Refreshing and light, the green drink is a blend of finely ground Teavana matcha tea and lemonade, and topped with a vanilla, sweet creamy foam. If you love citrusy drinks that aren’t overly sweetened with sugar, this is your match made in heaven. With the temperatures varying day-to-day, pick up this iced drink on one of your last sunny and warm walks to class. Overall, I’m already obsessed with it and I wish I ordered a "venti."

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu