Jenny Hall-Jones poses for a portrait at Baker Center on Thursday, October 11, 2018. Jenny received three degrees from Ohio University.

Three OU staff members reflect on their time as students and its influence on their work

Correction appended.

Homecoming is a college tradition, but for some Ohio University staff members every day is their homecoming. 

Three staff members who are also celebrated alumni are Jennifer Bowie, the chief of staff for university advancement and assistant vice president of communications; Andrew Holzaepfel, senior associate director for student activities; and Jenny Hall-Jones, senior associate vice president of student affairs and dean of students. The three alumni came to OU for college and have loved it ever since. 

As a student, Bowie arrived in 1990. She received her undergraduate degree in journalism with a specialization in English and graduated in 1994. Outside of academics, Bowie was a part of the flag corps for the Marching 110; the president of the band sorority Tau Beta Sigma for two years; secretary of Golden Key International Honour Society and played the flute in the concert band. 

As a student, Holzaepfel arrived in 1993. He received his undergraduate degree in political science; was very involved in the campus democratic party through local and statewide campaigns; was a part of the Waterski Club and graduated in 1997. Outside of academics and clubs, Holzaepfel spent most of his time hanging out with friends. He went to graduate school and earned his masters degree in college student personnel. 

As a student, Hall-Jones arrived in 1991. She received her undergraduate degree in sociology and criminology, spent her time being a resident assistant, and practiced student leadership through the Review and Standards Committee, which was a committee that would oversee the code of conduct. Hall-Jones received her masters degree in student personnel.

Through outward exploration and strokes of luck, Bowie, Holzaepfel and Hall-Jones decided to stay in Athens and work for their alma mater. 

Holzapfel-5.jpg
Andrew Holzapfel poses for a portait in his office on Monday, October 8, 2018. Holzapfel graduated from Ohio in 1997.

The three staff members used their school experiences when handling their current positions. Bowie learned to use the servant leadership and translated that to shaping her career here in advancement. Holzaepfel used the university’s influence to keep people involved and showed the importance of offering outlets and opportunities to not just the students, but the whole Athens area. Hall-Jones used her experience as an RA to train in social skills like talking to parents, handling crises and training in sexual assault response. 

Of course their experiences were different, which means their memories are different. 

Bowie’s favorite memory from her time at OU is playing with the Marching 110 in Washington, D.C. for President Bill Clinton’s inaugural parade in 1993. As soon as the band returned from winter break her junior year, they received the news and began practicing. They paraded in the snow, practiced cadences and, after a week, headed to Virginia. The memory is one of Bowie’s favorites because not only it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but because it really showed how amazing the alumni connections are through OU.

Holzaepfel has two favorite memories. The first was meeting his wife and starting his family here. They have now been married for 20 years, and Holzaepfel said meeting her was the most significant and life-changing event from his school years. His next favorite memory came from the opportunity that OU afforded him to study abroad in Denmark. The experience showed him outside perspectives and gave him a chance to explore a different part of the world, and he is very grateful to OU.

Hall-Jones also has two favorite memories. The first was being an RA, which trained her for all of her professional feats and she made friends there that she still spends time with to this day. The second memory was meeting her husband. They met during graduate school, and he proposed to her on the campus. She was living on campus when she became pregnant with both of her children, and OU has been their home for as long as they can remember. From living in the dorms with their parents to trick-or-treating in the residence halls when they were little, Hall-Jones’ kids have always loved OU as much as she does. 

Bowie-8.jpg
Jennifer Bowie, a graduate of Ohio University, works for The Ohio University Foundation and OHIO's Division of University Advancement. Bowie came back to work at Ohio University when her husband got a job as a professor.

All three staff members agreed that the littlest things, from philosophical discussions to going to dining halls with friends, make up the best parts of OU. It always leads back to the Bobcat family. They each described OU in a few words or a phrase. 

“Go ahead,” Bowie said. “This shows that every personal encounter will result in people trying to support the students and push them to do things. This school will always encourage the students to go ahead.”

“Bobcat family,” Holzaepfel said. “This place is unique and it’s home. When you’re here, you bleed green, and you are always a part of the Bobcat family.”

“You can be yourself here,” Hall-Jones said. “From quidditch and human zombies, to writing news stories for The Post, to being a part of Greek life, you will find yourself and others who are like you here.”

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report incorrectly stated that the members were faculty members and not staff members. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.