Kelsey Boeing

From the Editors Desk

10/18/2018

Happy Homecoming from your friends at ‘The Post’

Lauren Fisher / Editor-in-Chief

descutner

Hearing from alumni is, by far, one of the best parts of my job.

Usually, the messages come in the form of emails from former students looking for decades-old photos in our archives. Sometimes, it’s a note from an old reader, or an impromptu newsroom visit from Posties who just wanted to drop by the old stomping grounds.

We spend a lot of time stuck in the monotony of reporting: covering events, keeping tabs on facts and figures, and searching for the next big story. But every once and a while — especially around Homecoming — the stories come to us.

A few weeks ago, the newsroom’s front desk phone rang with a call from OU alumnus Casey Buchanan, who wanted to tell us about the organic hops farm he started with another OU grad. The 23-acre farm, just a short drive away in Albany, now supplies local breweries. But in a few years, the duo hopes they can open their own brewery.

Shortly after that phone call, I opened up my inbox to find an email from Michael Black, a 1990s grad. Although he admitted he was “a little shy” about reaching out, friends and family had encouraged him to tell his story. And we’re glad he did.

Michael hails from Santiago, Chile — a 12-14 hour flight from Ohio, he tells me — and graduated from OU with a master’s degree more than 25 years ago. Having fallen in love with OU and the Athens community, he worked tirelessly to make sure his son could attend OU just like him. Another son soon followed the same path, and this year, their daughter Julia embarked on her freshman year.

I think it’s stories like these that remind us of what the “Athens State of Mind” really means. You can read more about the alumni-owned hops farm in this issue, and I encourage you to visit thepostathens.com to read more about how the Black family found their second home in Athens.

To current students: Remember that Homecoming isn’t just for the alumni. Before you know it, you’ll be a grouchy, old senior like me, wishing you wouldn’t have slept through your first two parades. Get up early Saturday, go to the parade and actually stay through halftime at the football game. You’ll be exhausted, but I promise it’ll be worth it.

To all the alumni who have made their way back to Athens: You’ve probably noticed that this copy of The Post you’re holding is a bit different from the ones you used to read. I can assure you, however, that our spirit hasn’t changed. We’re happy to continue bringing you the news you need to get acquainted with your alma mater.

Welcome back, and happy Homecoming!

Lauren Fisher is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Lauren at lf966614@ohio.edu or tweet her @Lauren__Fisher.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.