Tim Martin, a designer at Red Tail Design, designed the 2018 Homecoming logo.

Homecoming theme to capture the Athens State of Mind

As an Athens native and 2010 graduate of Ohio University, Tim Martin has a natural love for this town, making him the perfect candidate to design this year’s homecoming logo for the Athens State of Mind. 

After getting a Bachelor's degree in graphic design from OU, Martin decided to continue his life and his business in Athens. 

After years of working for Electronic Vision, a local web and graphic design company created in 1985, he received the opportunity to take over the business after the owners retired. He kept the original staff and rebranded the company as Red Tail Designs Company.  

In 2015, Martin started Ohio is Home, an apparel company located in Athens. He wanted to be able to design outside of the corporate world. Martin also wanted to create high quality apparel that people would want to spend their money on. 

“Hopefully, that’s what my company provides for them,” Martin said.

The Athens State of Mind theme idea for the homecoming logo was proposed by Sharon Miller, a 2014 graduate of OU. Miller said the theme is reminiscent of how Bobcats carry the spirit of Athens with them no matter where they go.

“I got the inspiration from one of the books I read in an English class at OU that proposed the notion that ‘freedom is a state of mind,’ ” Miller said in an email. “That resonated with me and made me think that even Athens is a state of mind, and you can carry it with you wherever you go.” 

With friends, music, nature and good vibes, Miller said she is able to channel the spirit of Athens to escape adult obligations and responsibilities even when she isn’t able to be there physically.

“Everyone here is so determined to make me feel good about living here,” Reese Little, a freshman studying health and sciences, said. “Everywhere you go on campus feels like you have been here forever.”

After her parents sold the family home, Little said she had to quickly make Athens her new home, and is glad she did. Getting to know a diverse group of people through clubs, classes and organizations makes her feel closer to her friends back home. 

Kimberly Romshe, a junior studying communications, said that the situations she experienced in Athens has taught her how the real world works outside of her hometown. When she leaves Athens, she’s leaving with more than just a degree.

“This community has shaped me into a person I never thought I would become,” Romshe said. “A person I love being every day.” 

The design was based off of a T-shirt design that Martin sells at his company. With a design centered around the campus, the logo features Athens’ well-known hills and buildings, like the Convocation Center, Alumni Gateway and Baker Center. Martin said his original design featured buildings from uptown Athens as well.

While the design is more university centered, Martin said he sees Athens as way more than just the university.

“(People) see Athens as Ohio University, but it’s a beautiful region that is a lot more than just a college,” Martin said. 

With Martin’s business and his local-inspired designs, he believes it fulfills something that Athens didn’t have prior. He hopes keeping his business in Athens will help and serve other local businesses and organizations.

Allison Rhoads, a freshman studying business, believes this theme is a good representation of Athens and the community. 

“Once we’re alumni, we’re alumni,” Rhodes said. “We’ll be a whole family together, and we can always go back to our college roots.”

@megchriistine

mc199517@ohio.edu