Around the Web: Loki’s death is clearly final this time — or is it?

The first couple of minutes of Avengers: Infinity War were a blow for Loki’s massive fanbase and fans of all Asgardians in general. Although Loki’s death looked pretty real this time, fans have refused to believe that he didn’t have a plan all along and will return for Avengers 4.

This isn’t the first time Loki has been presumed “dead” in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It’s actually the third time. 

The first time was at the end of Thor, and the second was towards the end of Thor: The Dark World, but each of these instances gave clearer clue-ins to the character’s return than this most recent death. 

Yet back in June at ACE Comic Con, Loki actor Tom Hiddleston revealed that Thor: Ragnarok was the final character arc for Loki and the beginning of Infinity War was meant to be the conclusion. Hiddleston may seem insistent this is the end for Loki, but diehard fans are coming up with multiple theories to back up their claims.

At this point, fans know many of the god of mischief’s tricks, as they’re displayed in every movie the character has been a part of. This spawned the theory that Loki used one of his holographic tricks in the scene as he did in The Dark World. The theory makes the argument that Loki is right-handed, as he typically fights with one-handed weapons using his right hand. However, when using holograms, like in his death scene in The Dark World, he holds his weapon in his left hand, symbolizing that the hologram is a mirror image of himself. When Loki tries to stab Thanos in his final moments, he uses his left hand to hold the dagger, giving the theory some ground.

Some concrete evidence that Loki is still around are the released set photos from Avengers 4 showing Loki in scenes with Thor and Tony Stark, which could be a time travel moment as Loki is pictured in his old Avengers armor, but another theory that Loki could be resurrected may make the scene more than just a flashback.

A young boy asked Hiddleston if his character was alive or dead during “The Trickster and the Witch” panel at ACE Comic Con last weekend with Tom Hiddleston and actress Elizabeth Olsen, who plays Scarlet Witch. While Hiddleston continued to skirt around the answer by commenting, “Your guess is as good as mine,” it seems that everyone is keeping Loki’s possible return a mystery as all Olsen had to say when the question was asked was “yes.”

Some fans had seemingly lost hope after Heimdall actor Idris Elba confirmed on Twitter that his last battle with Thanos — and his honorable death — was the last time the character will be seen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. 

But after this past weekend and amid multiple theories, the same isn’t seemingly going to happen to MCU’s most beloved villain. After all, many characters supposedly killed in Infinity War, and they are expected to make a return. 

If Hiddleston somehow doesn’t make a return in the film franchise, he is expected to have a spinoff TV series on the new streaming service Disney Go. So while he may be done on the silver screen, we may have a TV series to look forward to.  

Charlotte Caldwell is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Charlotte? Email her at cc670717@ohio.edu