Democrats Discuss: The grip of music

We may not think our favorite artists are affecting our ethics, political views and even what we’re comfortable with, but it’s likely they have an influence on all three. With midterm elections incredibly close, it is important for Americans to engage in a fair amount of introspection.

Why do I think the way I think? Why might I vote a certain way on this issue? Is it because I listened to track five on that new album?

It’s safe to say personal convictions are too deeply ingrained to be flipped like a switch at the drop of a beat; however, the artists of our favorite songs may be slowly guiding your mindset in a certain direction.

In the spring of 2018, rap sensation Kanye West reactivated his Twitter account and announced the upcoming release of the album Kids see Ghosts, which would be a collaboration with fellow hip-hop aficionado Kid Cudi. However, West’s new album soon took a backseat to his barrage of tweets that followed the announcement. These tweets ranged anywhere from West claiming that President Donald Trump and him have the same “dragon energy” to Kanye wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat, personally signed by Trump himself. This caused uproar from not only fans of West, but the entire social media sphere and beyond.

The question begins to present itself — can consumers separate the art from the artist and enjoy one without supporting the other? It may seem limiting to not be able to listen to a rapper just because of different politics, but let’s examine rapper 6ix9ine. Daniel Hernandez, better known as 6ix9ine, is a 22-year-old rapper from New York City. He’s currently valued at a $4 million dollar net worth, and his hit song “Fefe” with Nicki Minaj has hit number one on the charts. Rewinding three years ago to Oct. 20, 2015, Hernandez plead guilty to use of a child in a sexual performance. Although Hernandez has not yet received official sentencing, it is important to note that the victim of the crime was a 13-year-old girl. Yet with the success of “Fefe” people seem willing to set aside their morals for a good song. 

It is easy to point out the potential wrongdoings of Hernandez, but it’s false to say people are willing to boycott his music. The same can be said about Kanye West, who lost millions of Twitter followers in the days following his Trump-admiring tweets, but now has a collaborative song with Lil Pump called I Love It, which the two performed on Saturday Night Live just a few weeks ago. 

The music industry is not just a source of entertainment, but is a business. Therefore, there is no way to support an artist’s content without also adding to their bottom line. Even if the music was somehow streamed to a listener through a secondary and perhaps illegal source, there is still an even deeper type of support provided to the artist — ethical support. If a liberal individual listens to Kanye West, that person is willing to push their own boundaries and tolerate West’s platform. This continued support to him directly contradicts what the two persons supposedly stand for, but it is up to the consumer to decide what he or she is willing to compromise on.

Even if a person believes the artist’s political stance or personal allegations and their art are separate entities, there is still a deep influence that music holds on the psyche of the consumer. That hit song of West’s I Love It features a hook that merely repeats a vulgar line multiple times that insinuates referring a woman in a demeaning way is an appropriate thing to do.

Music may just be good fun and should not always be taken at face value with utmost seriousness, but there is a sense of normalization of certain words that arise as a result of the song. If you were walking the streets of Ohio University last weekend, it was almost guaranteed that you would hear this song being blared from either a bar or house party somewhere nearby. Because music is an artistic expression by the artist, not everything in a song needs to be agreed upon by the listener; however, it’s important to recognize the vocabulary that is normalized by certain popular songs.

Music is a beautiful and powerfully charged art form, and it is irresponsible and even disrespectful to claim that the music makers are not closely tied to the enjoyable contents of their songs. Do the artists you listen to define who you are? Of course not. You are an individual human being just as they are. Is it wrong to listen to artists that speak or do things you disagree with? Not everything is so black and white. The answer lies not only within one’s own definition of right and wrong, but also to the decision of what they are willing to tolerate. Whether that toleration be politics, harmful language or heinous acts of the artist, nobody is stopping you from listening to the music of your choosing. Next time you plug in that auxiliary cord, just remember to be mindful of what you’re engaging in, because being aware is the best way to control the direction of one’s personal growth.

Parker Laird is a sophomore studying psychology at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Let Parker know by emailing him at pl703516@ohio.edu.