It’s National Vodka Day; check out the LGBTQ issue of 'The Post'

Today is Thursday, Oct. 4, 2018. Here’s what you need to know: 

Good morning,

We know you don’t need another excuse to go out drinking, but here’s one anyway: It’s National Vodka Day. In honor of today’s venerated occasion, here are some fun facts about vodka:

1. Vodka accounts for 20-25 percent of annual U.S. liquor sales. Americans sure do love their vodka.
  2. The word “vodka” comes from the Russian word “voda,” which means “water.” Just don’t fill a water bottle with vodka and take it to class.
  3. Various celebrities — including Dan Aykroyd, P. Diddy and President Donald Trump — have their own brands of vodka. Trump vodka ceased production in 2011, but you can still buy it on eBay.
  4. No one really knows the significance of Oct. 4, but does it really matter?
  5. The world’s most expensive bottle of vodka is Leon Verres’ Billionaire Vodka. One bottle will set you back $7.25 million, enough to buy 72 Brain Stompers from the Over Hang for each person in Athens.

Cheers to vodka!

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

News from The Post:

The Post’s LGBTQ issue is here. Pick up a copy at newsstands around Athens, or click here for the digital version. (The Post)

Student Senate met last night to address a death threat sent to an LGBT member (The Post)

Scotty McCreery will perform in MemAud at 8 p.m. Friday. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times: 

Ohio volleyball coach Deane Webb is doing “Chalk Talks” for fans before each game. (The Post)

Assistant sports editor Pete Nakos breaks down the numbers of Ohio’s firers four games. (The Post)

The Post talked with the football beat writer from KentWired. (The Post)

Athens Weather 

Mostly cloudy with a likely chance of thunderstorms and a high of 80 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Defunct toy retailer Toys R Us is planning a comeback. (Polygon)

More than 200 million Americans received a “Presidential Alert” text message Wednesday. (BBC)

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced the termination of a treaty with Iran dating back to 1955. (CBS News)

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu