Emma Eggleston pursues a defender from Central Michigan. The Bobcats would won 3-1 against their conference rivals on Sept. 23, 2018 at Pruitt Field.

Field Hockey: Winning streak snapped in 5-1 loss

Ohio's defense struggled Sunday, and it only scored one goal in its loss to Drexel 5-1 in a nonconference game. 

Ohio (4-5, 2-0 Mid-American Conference) came into the game with three straight wins — allowing only one goal in that win streak.  

In the ninth minute, Ashley Wilbur mis-hit a ball in front of the Ohio goal and Drexel (5-5) earned a penalty corner off of it. The Dragons then scored the first goal of the game on that penalty corner. 

The Bobcats are 0-5 when they allow two or more goals. Its attack struggles to score goals. The Bobcats have only 12 goals in nine games.

It was a tie game until the final 20 minutes, when Drexel exploded with four goals to put the game away with attacks.

The Dragons found openings near the goal and converted a penalty stroke. Five of their eight shots on goal were scored. 

The lone Ohio goal was scored in the 41st minute, when Leah Warren fired a low shot into the corner of the goal off a penalty corner. It was her second goal of the season, and it's the second straight game she has scored in.

Ohio has struggled to score off penalty corners this year. The Bobcats had their highest number of penalty corners in a game Sunday but are still getting fewer than five per game. 

Ohio’s leading scorer, Jillian Shive, did not attempt a shot in the game, and Drexel scored on her only shot in the 65th minute. 

Ohio looks to continue its undefeated start to MAC play Friday when it takes on Ball State in Muncie, Indiana. 

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu