The Bobcats defense takes out University of Massachusetts Marquis Young (#8) during the first half of the game on Sept. 29, 2018.

Football: Frank Solich addresses the media ahead of MAC opener

Coach Frank Solich addressed the media Monday to recap the Bobcats shootout victory over UMass and preview the upcoming Mid-American Conference opener against Kent State. Here's what came up during the press conference:

— Solich praised quarterback Nathan Rourke for his completion percentage, and thought Rourke played a complete game.

"I think he showed his ability in all areas. He was composed, threw the ball extremely well, threw it deep well, intermediate well, short well. Obviously, he showed his running skill which is really an excellent skill for him in terms of what he can accomplish when he has the ball under his arm and running. I think he was a very complete quarterback in that ball game."

— Kent State coach Sean Lewis is in his first season leading the Golden Flashes. Solich has a strategy to learn about an opponent under a new coach, and he'll use it this week as well.

— As conference play begins, mid-week games are around the corner, so Solich will take that into consideration with his practice planning.

"We're doing more teamwork to make sure that our practices aren't long," he said. "We're trying to meet a little bit longer, where the guys are sitting and resting; our walk-through on Thursday I think has helped us. We have that Friday where we're not out there very long at all. Generally speaking, they're getting at least two days of rest. It seems to be the right way to have our team energized come game day – so far so, good on that.

— Ohio has either had a big lead or a huge deficit to overcome in all four games this season. It's not something Solich wants to have continue. If it does, however, he's confident.

"Thankfully we're a pretty explosive football team in terms of running the ball," he said. "We had 25 plays of ten yards to 19 yards, those are big plays for us. 29 is the most we've ever had in that one category. That's combining the big runs and passes."

— Aside from Rourke's interception in the first quarter, which was returned for a UMass touchdown, the Bobcats took care of the ball. Solich welcomes that.

"The turnovers were 1-1 and that was huge. We didn't win the turnover battle, which we wanted to, but we didn't lose it. That was huge in terms of getting back in the game and getting a little separation also."

— Solich addressed the controversy surrounding UMass coach Mark Whipple, who was suspended one game for his comments about the officiating in Saturday's game. Whipple complained about the officiating and said "they raped us," when referring to a missed defensive pass interference call.

"So, I know Mark. I think he's a good person and a good coach," Solich said of Whipple. "His AD (athletic director) certainly took charge of the situation and I know their AD called our AD and sent an apology. I think they've done all they can do given the situation and we're all moving forward." 

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu