Defenseman Tom Pokorney (#4) handles the puck during Ohio's game against West Virginia at the Morgantown Ice Rink on Saturday. The Bobcats defeated the Mountaineers 11-1.

Hockey: Ohio's power play has excelled to this point in the season

Ohio was efficient on the power play over the weekend against West Virginia. Goal after goal, it seemed as if when the Bobcats had a man-advantage, they would find the back of the net.

The Bobcats did not have success on the power play last season, converting at just above a 20 percent rate. They’ve more than doubled that this season.

They scored eight power play goals in the weekend sweep of the Mountaineers. Ohio’s approach to the power play has changed. Instead of continually cycling the puck around the net and looking for the perfect shot, the Bobcats have let shots fly. 

The power play units have been taking more shots. They’re sending shots toward the net from deep, and they’re getting more goals off the deflections of the shot. 

“The movement on the power play has been key,” coach Sean Hogan said. “The possession on the power play, then we do take a shot. We call them puck retrievals, so we get a shot and there’s a rebound. We’re coming out with that rebound and resetting. We can’t be a one and done team on the power play.”

One reason for the improvement includes more practice time dedicated to special teams. Instead of once a week like last year, Hogan has the Bobcats working on the power play and penalty kill twice a week.

Hogan has also been experimenting with his power play units. In the opening weekend sweep of John Carroll, there wasn’t a set unit. What Hogan called the “true unit” was on the ice twice; they scored both times. 

Going into the games against the Mountaineers, Hogan had two power play units in mind: one with Tom Pokorney, Grant Hazel, Garrett Jenkins, Timmy Thurnau and Bryan Lubin; and one with Gianni Evangelisti, Nick Grose, Cody Black, Tyler Harkins and Matt Rudin. 

The Bobcats were without the services of some of their typical power play guys this weekend. Jake Houston and Gabe Lampron were healthy scratches due to out-of-town job interviews, and Austin Heakins was out due to a leg injury.

Ohio’s first line — the line of Black, Harkins and Rudin — has featured some of the more effective Ohio skaters with the man-advantage. One of them either scored or assisted on four of the Bobcats eight power play goals against West Virginia. Harkins netted two, and Black scored one. 

“They might be 100 percent on the year,” Hogan said. “I have to go back and look, but they may be 100 percent on the year.”

The resurgence of Ohio’s power play so far has been huge. The Bobcats have scored double-digit points in their first four games for the first time since the 1988-89 season. 

“These are video game numbers,” Hogan said. “I didn’t know we’d come in here and do this.”

@trevor_colgan

tc648174@ohio.edu