The Graduate Student Senate meeting on Jan. 23, 2018. (FILE)

Graduate Student Senate to hear presentation on Open OHIO, discuss upcoming GradConnect event

Graduate Student Senate will hear presentations from the Center for Student Legal Services and Open OHIO Tuesday night. 

The Center for Student Legal Services will give a presentation on a proposal to raise the legal services fee to $15 per student. It is currently at $12 per student.

“It has to be approved by the Board of Trustees at some point, I think they’re bringing it to them in the spring semester,” GSS President Maria Modayil said. 

Brett Fredericksen, the environmental and plant biology department representative for GSS, will give the presentation on Open OHIO. Open OHIO is a program that fosters face-to-face communication among students, faculty, staff and Athens residences, according to a previous Post report

Modayil is also hoping to get updates from two other commissioners.

“I haven’t met with the governmental affairs person yet, but I know at least the housing commissioner will give an update,” Modayil said. 

Last week there were some conversations about transportation. Modayil said she had a meeting with someone from Parking and Transportation last Friday regarding transportation. 

Modayil will also be asking any standing committees for updates. 

During a previous GSS meeting, the body appointed a new vice president for finance, Michael Senteney. Modayil said that Senteney understands the holistic experience of graduate students because he is working toward a doctoral degree. 

“He understands a lot of the system, so that is really great. We are still working through some of the transition stuff, but I have full faith in him,” Modayil said. 

The body is also preparing for its second GradConnect event, which will take place on Oct. 29. 

Student Affairs has agreed to partner with GSS for this upcoming event, Modayil said. 

Lastly, the body will discuss its involvement in the homecoming parade and whether or not it would like to participate in it. 

GSS will meet in Walter 235 at 7:00 on Tuesday. 

@cmwritrix 

cm335617@ohio.edu