The Ohio University Student Senate meets on Sept. 18. (FILE)

Student Senate: Members discuss required office hours policies

At the Student Senate meeting Wednesday, Student Senate passed four resolutions and had discussions with members of the Board of Trustees. 

The resolution that was passed would make office hours mandatory for Student Senate members. Some members are required to have office hours based on their position within Senate.

Some members expressed their concerns about the policy since some senators miss their office hours due to academic reasons and did not want to be assigned points if that was the reason for missing office hours. 

A member cannot be impeached if they do not complete their office hours. However, if a member receives nine points, they would be referred to the Judicial Panel. A general body meeting and Senate inservice will count as three points, commission meetings will count as two points, and Committee meetings and one week of office hours will count as one point. 

Senate members suggested different ideas to make the point system better. As the year goes on, Student Senate could change the office hours policy. 

Chair Dave Scholl and Vice Chair Janelle Coleman of the Board of Trustees allowed Student Senate members to ask questions about the board’s role and the university. Some topics included tuition and projects for the university. 

The two resolutions also passed to appoint Holly Vicker as associate justice of the Judicial Panel and Allison Shryock as the Environmental Affairs commissioner. 

Vicker, who is a political science major and an international student from the United Kingdom, said she was excited to be appointed and felt her major could help her in this position.

The final resolution passed to fund supplies for the Student Senate office. The supplies included staples, coffee and 12 legal pads.  

On Monday at 7 p.m., Student Senate will hold its first town hall meeting of the academic year. Leaders from student organizations can express concerns and opinions to the Senate. Students are also allowed at this meeting. 

“(I) want everyone’s voices to be heard,” Senate President Maddie Sloat said.

@SusieGr54264615

sg706817@ohio.edu