Corey Davis (84) beats Javon Hagan (7) over the middle at Ford Field in the 2016 Mid-American Conference Championship Game. Western Michigan won 29-23.

Football: What to know about Western Michigan

Ohio heads to Kalamazoo, Michigan, for a mid-week Mid-American Conference showdown with Western Michigan, fresh off a two-game win streak. It’s the first meeting between the two since the 2016 MAC Championship game, which Ohio lost 29-23. 

Waldo Stadium is the only MAC stadium that coach Frank Solich has not won in.

It also marks the beginning of the Bobcats’ final stretch of four games. Winning out would put Ohio in position to make it to Detroit for the MAC Championship Game. 

Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Thursday and can be watched on ESPNU. 

All-time series: WMU leads 30-28-1

Last time they played: The last time these teams met was in the 2016 MAC Championship Game at Ford Field in Detroit. The Bobcats fell 29-23, as quarterback Greg Windham came off the bench and was 14 of 30 for 214 yards and three touchdowns. Papi White had two receptions for 98 yards and a touchdown. Ohio almost knocked off then-ranked No. 17 WMU, but lost in the final minute when Windham was intercepted by Robert Spillane. 

Western Michigan report: While former coach P.J. Fleck and former wide receiver Corey Davis are gone after that 2016 season, some familiar players will be seen. 

Coach Tim Lester is in his second season with WMU, and his best offensive weapon lies in running back Jamauri Bogan, who rushed for 86 yards on 26 carries against the Bobcats in 2016. 

True freshman Kaleb Eleby will start at quarterback for the Broncos Thursday due to Jon Wassink undergoing surgery with a return date unknown. The WMU offense still starts with the running game, but Eleby has no trouble throwing the ball. He threw for 9,735 yards and 95 touchdowns in his high school career. 

The Broncos defense has struggled this season, allowing 30.9 points per game, but leads the MAC in opponent third down conversions. 

How Ohio beats Western Michigan: Ohio takes advantage of a freshman quarterback getting his first start. They put a lot of pressure on the pocket and shut down the run game. The Bobcats secondary forces a couple interceptions. Nathan Rourke and the Bobcats’ offense don’t have any problem putting points on the board against the Broncos. 

Player to watch: Redshirt senior running back Jamauri Bogan

He entered this season ranked No. 8 in career rushing at WMU with 2,563 yards and fourth with 27 career rushing touchdowns. He was a factor in the Bobcats loss back in 2016 and he’ll be a factor come Thursday night. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu