Athens County Sheriff's Office Lt. Aaron Maynard works during 14Fest in 2016. (FILE)

Police Blotter: Intoxicated man kicks down door; penny jar reported stolen

You’ve heard of petty theft, but have you ever heard of penny theft?

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office received a report of a theft from a residence in New Marshfield on Friday.

The woman said a woman had stopped at her home and stole her jar of pennies, according to the report. The case is under investigation.

Breaking and paying

On Sunday, the sheriff’s office responded to a residence on May Avenue in Chauncey for a report of an active break-in.

On the scene, deputies found that an intoxicated man had kicked the front door in. He cooperated with the deputies and was arrested. He was transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail and charged with disorderly conduct. 

The property owner spoke to the suspect the next day. He decided to not file charges and made arrangements for him to replace the damaged property. The case was closed.

Dude, where’s my dog?

Deputies responded to a report Saturday for a complaint of a stolen dog in Trimble Township. 

The dog was located on the property and was determined not to be stolen or missing. No further action was needed.

Watch your bag

On Friday, the sheriff’s office took a report from a woman who said her purse was stolen.

She placed her pursed on the front seat of her vehicle at Mel’s Roadhouse, 10971 State Route 550, and walked back to tell her friends she was leaving, according to the report.

When she returned, the purse was gone. The purse is a white cross-body purse containing a large purple wallet.

Family tree

The sheriff’s office responded to a call Saturday from a man who said someone was trespassing on his neighbor’s property.

On the scene, deputies found the person it was a family member of the property owner who had cut down a tree, according to the report. Deputies spoke to the homeowner, who said he did not want to pursue criminal charges. The case was closed. 

Schooled

The sheriff’s office reported to the football field at the Athens City Early Learning Center — formerly Chauncey Elementary School — regarding a man passed out on the bleachers Monday.

There was no one present when deputies arrived on the scene. According to the report, the school property and surrounding area were searched, and no one was located. 

Good boy

On Monday, the sheriff’s office received a complaint of a dog barking at a residence in Alexander Township.

Deputies checked on the dog, which seemed to be in good health, and spoke to the owner. No further action was needed. 

Tire trouble 

Last Wednesday, the sheriff’s office responded to a residence on State Route 685 for a report of a suspicious vehicle.

The vehicle had been parked in the driveway for an extended period of time, according to the report. On the scene, deputies found that the vehicle had a flat tire. The owners of the vehicle were waiting for someone to come and tow the vehicle from the residence. The case was closed. 

False alarms

The sheriff’s office responded to three alarms over the weekend.

On Friday, deputies were dispatched to a residence on Poston Road in response to an activated alarm. On the scene, deputies found it to be a maintenance worker. No further action was needed, and the case was closed.  

On Sunday, the sheriff’s office responded to Lawn Masters & More, 4725 Hebbardsville Road, in reference to an activated business alarm. The business was determined to be secure, and no further action was taken. 

Deputies responded to Dollar General, 8980 United Lane, for an activated alarm on Sunday. The business was checked and found to be secure. 

@Jackieou_ohyeah

jo019315@ohio.edu