From the Editor's Desk: Supporting 'The Post'

For more than a century, The Post has been around to witness some of the biggest moments in the history of our nation and our university. 

I’m reminded of this daily when I look outside my office at the framed newsprints on the walls. One tells of the Martin Luther King Jr. assassination. Another was published the day of the Challenger explosion. The walls of our newsroom are lined with images and stories that depict years of protest, celebration and heartbreak, collectively representing our history through the best and worst of times.

Despite the countless changes we’ve undergone over the decades, our mission remains steadfast: to report on the events surrounding our campus and community honestly and tenaciously. 

But in order to keep that mission alive, we need the support of our readers and alumni. Luckily, there are a few ways you can help. 

Although The Post is editorially independent from Ohio University, we don’t have the means to be completely financially independent. Historically, we’ve received money for the salary and benefits of our business manager, as well as a generous space in Baker Center to house our newsroom. 

This past spring, we learned that the university has cut funding for our business manager. And it goes without saying that without a business manager, it’s exceptionally difficult to run a business. We’re not alone in this dilemma — other college papers across the nation are facing similar struggles. Soon, we plan to hire a new business manager, using funds provided in part by a $30,000 per year advertising deal with the Division of Student Affairs.

The decision to go from a daily print newspaper to a digital-first tabloid two years ago was made to stay in line with the times, but it was also a decision made out of financial necessity. We’ve realized that we live in a day and age in which the free press needs a little extra support in order to remain effective. 

This is where you come in. 

We’re calling upon readers, alumni and, really, anyone who supports a free press to do what you can give to support The Post, whether it’s through a donation, a follow on Twitter or simply picking up a copy of the paper. 

If you’d like to donate now, visit the Ohio University Advancement website and click “Make a Gift.” When selecting a fund to give to, simply select “Other,” check the box stating the fund you’d like to support isn’t listed and type “The Post Fund” into the box. 

Just by reading content our website like you are now or by picking up a print copy of The Post, you’ve played a small part in a larger mission. Your support not only helps keep the mission of The Post alive, but it helps our young journalists reach their full potential. On behalf of our staff, we thank you for your readership and support. 

Lauren Fisher is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Lauren at lf966614@ohio.edu or tweet her @Lauren__Fisher.