'Proper Dose' is The Story So Far's first album in three years. (Photo via @AEGPresentsSW on Twitter)

Album Review: Pop-punk band The Story So Far bounce back from hiatus with 'Proper Dose'

After a three-year hiatus that included frontman Parker Cannon battling drug addiction and the band almost calling it quits entirely, The Story So Far released Proper Dose. The 11-track album blends the expected musical composition of aggressive drumming, electrifying guitar riffs and Cannon’s raspy voice with calmer, enthrallingly different instrumentations at times. The California-based band labeled as “pop-punk” is back and better than ever.

Late August 2018, the band did its first interview since April 2013. The conversation surrounded Cannon giving his input on overcoming his opiate addiction and how he fell out of love with music; and essentially, everything, which led to a discussion about breaking up the band. He needed a breather from the overwhelming fame the band had suddenly received after the breakout of their debut LP, Under Soil and Dirt and the group having decided to tour for six years non-stop. Proper Dose perfectly dissects Cannon’s route to sobriety. 

Cannon stated in his interview with Kerrang! that Proper Dose is the first album he’s been excited about – and he has every reason to feel that way. While the discussion of his previous addiction may become excessive at times throughout the album, Cannon and his musical counterparts present it in an invigorating way. There isn’t a song to dislike, and this was the best way the band could have returned from a dark point in its progression. Hopefully Proper Dose is just the beginning of the band’s development into what it truly wants to be: compelling storytellers creating music that ultimately generates solace for it and its fans. Here is a breakdown of the best five tracks from the album:

5. “Proper Dose”

As the title track and album opener, “Proper Dose” provides punching guitar and bass lines and commanding drums that intermix flawlessly with Cannon’s honed vocals. The lyricism perfectly matches the aggression of Cannon reflecting on the last few years and how he will be moving forward, with the captivating chorus pleading, “I feel opaque and absentee. Am I just going through the motions or is this how I’ll be?” This powerful opening track offers perfect insight into the beautiful mind of Cannon and gives a riveting feeling for wanting more.

4. “Out Of It”

Released as the first single for the album, “Out Of It” lays the foundation for what fans of the band, after waiting for so long, desired and received: catchy drum patterns, profound lyrics and mesmerizing guitar riffs. The guitars perfectly bounce off Cannon’s potent vocals as he declares in the chorus, “My appropriate opiate has me out of it, out of it.” Cannon goes on to explain how he felt the need to hide his addiction from his loved ones because he didn’t want to burden them. The song was the first real revelation of Cannon’s drug dependency – and it was executed brilliantly.

3. “Upside Down”

“Upside Down,” sitting at number 6 in the track listing, is the listener’s first taste of the band’s calmer side. The Story So Far is well-known for frequently tackling the topic of past breakups, and this track is where Cannon reveals he is finally over the past and ready to move on. Alongside serene instrumentation and soft drumming, Cannon explains that he’ll “have to channel how you [his ex] made me feel to play every show.” He goes on to say that he will have to emulate his previous pain to be able to play his older songs, but, “It’s all love now, upside down” – he’s over it. To put it short, this song is beautiful lyrically and musically.

2. “Line”

Unexpectedly ambient most of the way through, “Line” is the first of its kind for The Story So Far. The track delivers just one stanza of lyrics repeated a few times throughout the song, accompanied by alluring synth and subdued percussion. Although not as blatantly eloquent as the other tracks on Proper Dose, the song offers a different side to the band.

1. “If I Fall”

“If I Fall” commences with a roaring guitar line and goes straight into Cannon yelling at himself for his previous choices. What makes this song exceed the others in quality is the clever word play and captivating instrumental changes. He pleads to his loved ones in the chorus, “I’m forcing myself to get better by fall. Will you be there if I fall?” After the chorus is completed twice, an unanticipated, intense guitar solo ensues followed by the emotional bridge and a peaceful electronic outro. The song is masterfully conducted and holds as the best song on the album.

Rating: 9/10

@bre_offenberger

bo844517@ohio.edu