Top 5 places for hot chocolate in Athens

It’s that time of year again: snow, the new year, cold weather, but best of all, the hot chocolate. Athens has a lot of great hot chocolate to offer and if you’re looking for some to try check out these five places near campus:

Donkey Coffee, 17 W. Washington St.

Donkey Coffee has it all, including a staff that is very kind and accommodating. The atmosphere creates a fun place to hangout with your friends, study for a test or just destress and enjoy a hot cup of hot chocolate while you’re doing it. The hot chocolate at Donkey is by far the best and something about this spot is relaxing. Sitting inside, drinking hot cocoa and doing homework here feels like something out of a movie. Donkey’s hot chocolate is made with steamed milk and topped with whipped cream. The barista can even make it with soy or almond milk if you so choose. 

Price: $3.55 for a large

Court Street Coffee, 67 S. Court St. 

Court Street Coffee is a great go-to place to have, especially if you’re on the go. The spot is convenient and the inside is cozy with couches, chairs and tables. But that’s not even the main thing we’re all worried about: that’s the hot chocolate. Court Street’s hot chocolate never disappoints. They give you the option to have whipped cream or not. You will not regret getting the whip — that’s a promise.  

Price: $3.25 for a large

Brenen’s Coffee Cafe, 38 S. Court St.

Brennan’s is an Ohio University student favorite for sure. Brennan’s gives off a typical coffee shop vibe, with all the hustle and bustle of students and faculty constantly going in and out or having meetings or doing homework. All of their drinks are great, and their hot chocolate is no exception. If you really want to treat yourself to some good hot chocolate, go to Brenen’s. 

Price: $3.25 for a large

Whit’s Frozen Custard, 49 S. Court St.

In case you aren’t aware, Whit’s is also a coffee shop. Its affogato is definitely the best thing on the menu, but their hot chocolate is delicious as well. It is best to get hot chocolate here if you are on the go as they don’t have the most seating (and it’s really hard to avoid getting frozen custard). But if you have time to stop in and try Whit’s hot chocolate, you definitely should. 

Price: $4 for a large

Fluff Bakery, 8 N. Court St.

Last but certainly not least, Fluff Bakery. Now this may not be the first place that comes to mind when you think of places to get hot chocolate, but do not let that discourage you from trying it. While you’re there you can also grab a bite to eat, or a delicious dessert, because they have a full menu. 

Price: $4 for a large

Now, go out and try some hot chocolate because it’s a cold one out there. 

@noser_sierra

sn148317@ohio.edu