Mischief Managed: Hogwarts houses don’t really matter

In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, the first thing the students participate in when walking into the Great Hall is the sorting ceremony. From that point forward, too much weight is put on the significance of the Hogwarts houses. 

From the get-go, 11-year-old children were drafted into teams and cliques. But from then on, the houses were only used to build the world. They weren’t necessarily used for plot. 

Sure, some ambitious, evil people came out of Slytherin; geniuses were in Ravenclaw; Gryffindor was full of brave students; and Hufflepuff was the overflow group. (Hufflepuff is my house, so I don’t have any beef with Hufflepuffs. It’s just a fact that they are just there). Despite the characteristics of ambition, intelligence, bravery and loyalty, there are always exceptions to the rules. 

Slytherins are often the most-judged people. They are seen as practicers of the Dark Arts, though that’s not true for all of them. Potions professor Horace Slughorn was sorted into Slytherin house. He said questionable things — like telling Tom Riddle how to make Horcruxes — but he didn’t have ill intent. Slughorn should have seen the signs, but we can’t blame him for Riddle’s evil. 

Ravenclaws are typecast as pretentious know-it-alls, but that can’t necessarily be said about Luna Lovegood. Luna is a sweet, reserved girl who experienced trauma in her life. During the series, her intelligence came across as quiet and lesser-known. She was never one to shove it in people’s faces, which is probably why she mostly hung out with Gryffindors. 

As for Hufflepuffs, there’s the obvious exception to the rule: Cedric Diggory, who was brave enough to put his name in the Goblet of Fire and represent his school. But there’s another famous badger: Nymphadora Tonks. The metamorphmagus wizard remained loyal to her friends throughout the series, but one might assume she belonged to Gryffindor. Bravery isn’t solely reserved for Gryffindors. 

Gryffindor house is focused on a lot during the Harry Potter series because that’s the house of the protagonist. But Harry himself should have found his way to Slytherin. There’s a theory that states Gryffindors have to be brave enough to ask to be in Gryffindor. That would include Neville Longbottom, who is often asked how he got in the house in the first place. 

Not everyone fits perfectly into the molds of each houses. It’s OK to be proud of the house you’re in, but it’s also good to remember they are there to build the world of Harry Potter

Georgia Davis is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What’s your Hogwarts house? Tell Georgia by tweeting her at @georgiadee35