New Music Friday: Jon Bellion blends genres with ‘Glory Sound Prep’; Kip Moore gets nostalgic on new single ‘It Ain’t California’

One of the best factors of music is the various amounts of genres and sounds artists delve into. This week’s latest releases bring everything from sensual indie rock (Nashville-based Hardcastle have you covered) to fresh, soul-infused hip-hop (Anderson .Paak’s “Who R U?” is a go to) and even some artists are releasing songs post-mortem (Lil Peep’s sophomore album is worth a listen or two). Nonetheless, music’s ever-changing sounds allow for listeners to get a taste of everything and expand their musical palates. So, no matter the mood you’re in or the task you’re trying to tackle, here are some genre-varying and even genre-blending highlights from this week’s latest music releases: 

Put on your cowboy boots:

There’s something special about country music and the feelings it encompasses. It can remind the listener of home, their friends and family or just the simpler things in life. Resident country-star Kip Moore captures this feeling with his latest single “It Ain’t California.” Featured on his upcoming extended play Room to Spare: The Acoustic Sessions, Moore doubles his acoustic guitar playing with his raspy, raw voice. Making multiple references to the late, great Tom Petty, it’s obvious Moore is performing an ode to him. The song is nostalgic and makes the listener think about their own hometown, something a lot college students are probably doing with the holiday season coming up. 

Go grab a synthesizer: 

With a multitude of mixtapes and a debut album that contained the radio hit “All Time Low,” Jon Bellion has delved deeper into his electronic-based vibes with his sophomore album Glory Sound Prep. The singer touches on a little bit of everything with the 10-track album, mixing old school hip-hop beats with onslaughts of synthesizers and even just simply piano. With features from the legendary Quincy Jones, Wu-Tang Clan’s chief producer RZA and previous collaborator Travis Mendes, it’s easy to see that Bellion wasn’t holding back and it definitely is paying off well. 

Let’s get local:

Though local music isn’t necessarily a genre of music, it’s definitely a sub-category that too often gets overlooked. Columbus-based 90’s Kids include a bit of everything in its music. Rooted in alternative-pop, the group mixes in electronic sounds, guitar solos and even some hip-hop influences with covers at live shows of artists such as Post Malone. Conceived by students at Ohio University, original members Corey Mouch, Matt King and Robby MacAskill recently added Jordan McVey in as a drummer. With its new single “Heartbeat,” the band plays on its electronic influences but also bend genres with a heavily-laid backing beat that powers through the song — something McVey has definitely brought into the band. 

It’s time to slow it down: 

Acoustic singer-songwriters produce music that’s perfect for the picturesque, movie moments of life while also perfectly capturing the slower, mundane parts. Marc Scibilia is soothing with his relaxed guitar sounds, raw and vulnerable with his voice that’s both soft and raspy, but overall he makes music that touches the soul and anyone can appreciate. With his latest single “Waiting On You,” Scibilia wears his heart on his sleeve and captures the essence of love, or well, lost love. It’s equally heartbreaking and relaxing, and definitely is in tune with the cold weather that’s here to stay for the winter. 

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu