Here are seven ways to spice up your peanut butter sandwich. 

Seven strange peanut butter sandwich recipes for National Peanut Butter Lovers Month

The peanut butter sandwich is an american staple if there ever was one. It is the most ubiquitous kids food of all time. Yet, as a person gets older, it's easy to get tired of the standard old PB&J formula. In time for National Peanut Butter Lovers Month, here are seven recipes many have not tried:

The Elvis Sandwich

Elvis Presley was a great lover of southern comfort food. He ate a very rich and very buttery diet, which probably lead to his death in the end. This sandwich is emblematic of that. It’s as high in calories as it is good in taste. The Elvis Sandwich consist of bacon, peanut butter and bananas combined within two pieces of grilled hawaiian bread. If your heart can handle it, try it out.

The Peanut Butter and Apple Sandwich

A lot of people love to dip apple slices in peanut butter, and this sandwich just makes that easier to eat on the go. It’s quite simple: bread, peanut butter, apples. Though you can probably choose the bread and peanut butter yourself, make sure you choose the right apple. If you’re eating the apple raw, make sure to choose a variety such as Red Delicious or Honeycrisp and thinly slice them. If you’re going to take the time to saute the apple in a light oil or butter before you put it in, definitely go with Granny Smith and add a bit of cinnamon.

The Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

To make this one, construct your standard peanut butter and jelly sandwich, then fry it in a pan like grilled cheese. It is surprising how much flavor cooking the sandwich really brings out. If you want to go the extra mile, add some powdered sugar to it while it's still hot. At this point, it's practically dessert.

The Peanut Butter Marshmallow Fluff and Chocolate Syrup Sandwich

When looking at this, it's easy to ask, “why?” Well, despite the fact this was probably first assembled by someone with an hangover going through the fridge or a four-year-old kid, it's not that bad. Though the sugar rush might kill you, it’s definitely original in terms of flavor. Make sure to toast the bread first so it doesn't fall apart while your eating it.

The Peanut Butter, Bacon and Hamburger Patty Melt

This one definitely contains the daily portion of fats and proteins. A patty melt is basically a hamburger but grilled between bread instead of on the traditional bun. To make this, first make a thin hamburger patty and fry it in a skillet. Same with the bacon. Remember to keep the grease in the pan. Then put the two meats between bread spread with peanut butter and fry it in the grease you left in the pan. It’s high in cholesterol, but also high in flavor.

The Peanut Butter, Cream Cheese, Almonds, Dates and Jelly Sandwich

This is a mouthful to say because of the number of ingredients. Despite this, they do mix together fairly well. On one slice of bread, spread the peanut butter then apply the almonds and dates. On the other slice of bread, apply the jelly and cream cheese. Once finished, just put the two together, and it's done.

The Fool's Gold Sandwich

This is another sandwich that adds to the Elvis myth, with Elvis reportedly taking a plane ride just to eat it. This sandwich requires one pound of peanut butter, one pound of jelly and one pound of bacon, along with a large french bread loaf to eat it on. To make it, one must cut the bread lengthwise before hollowing both sections out. Then the bread is brushed with butter and  placed into an oven heated to 350 degrees until the bread is toasted. Next, the bacon must be fried crispy and drained of all leftover oil before being placed in one side of the bread. To finish, the other loaf is filled with peanut butter and jelly and the sandwich is delicately put together. It is not for the faint of heart.

@JordanE42800656

je563817@ohio.edu