Quarterback Nathan Rourke drops back to pass against Western Michigan on Nov. 1. (FILE)

Football: Fast reactions from Ohio's 49-28 win over Akron

Ohio closed its regular season with a 49-28 win over Akron on Friday at Peden Stadium behind an offensive flurry in the first half and special teams plays.

The Bobcats (8-4, 6-2 Mid-American Conference) compiled 381 rushing yards on the Zips (4-7, 2-6 MAC), and quarterback Nathan Rourke had four rushing touchdowns.

Here are fast reactions:

Papi White: Record breaker

On Ohio’s first two offensive plays of the game, Papi White became the program’s all-time leader in receiving yards. 

White caught a 35-yard deep ball followed by an 11-yard screen pass to move ahead of LaVon Brazill (2,511 career yards) for most receiving yards in a career. White is just the sixth receiver in Ohio history to have 2,000 career receiving yards.

He had three catches for 63 yards in the win.

Special play from special teams

Akron started one of its first quarter drives inside its own 10. The Bobcats thought they had forced a safety on the first down play, but the ball was spotted at the 1-yard line. Two plays later, Ohio forced a punt. 

Kylan Nelson fielded the wobbly Akron punt near the Akron sideline, weaved his way through defenders and found the end zone for a 37-yard punt return score. It was the first punt returned for a touchdown by the Bobcats since 2011 when Travis Carrie did it against New Mexico State.

Bowl possibilities

Ohio finished its season 8-4, and early rumblings indicate the possible bowl destinations for the Bobcats could be the Frisco Bowl or the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. The Bobcats won’t find out just yet, but they are for sure going to make their 10th bowl appearance under coach Frank Solich.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu