Ohio quarterback Nathan Rourke runs the ball during the first half of the Bobcats’ game against Buffalo on Wednesday night.

Football: Fast reactions from Ohio's 52-17 win over Buffalo

Ohio throttled Buffalo 52-17 on Wednesday night at Peden Stadium, keeping the Bobcats Mid-American Conference Championship hopes alive. 

The Bobcats finished with 646 total yards, while the Bulls finished with 277. Ohio’s defense allowed Buffalo to pass for just 120 yards. 

Here are three fast reactions from the win: 

Running Ouellette 

Ohio’s offense wowed throughout Wednesday’s game, but it was running back A.J. Ouellette who set the Bobcats up for success. He set the tone of Ohio’s rushing attack, finishing with a career-high 196 yards and two touchdowns. 

On the Bobcats’ first drive, Ouellette ran the ball on the first two plays for 34 yards. The next drive he rushed for 50 yards on five carries. Throughout the night Ouellette sticked to his signature: Finding the holes, staying low and stumbling for yards after contact. 

His first touchdown of the night came after putting his shoulder in a safety, then diving into the end zone. His second a 33-yard run, yet again using his body to power into the end zone. 

Turnover belt 

Ohio (7-4, 4-2 MAC) won the turnover battle 5-1, forcing three interceptions and two fumbles, which resulted in 17 points for the Bobcats. Kylan Nelson, Jarren Hampton and Tariq Drake each had an interception. 

In the third quarter Rourke threw an interception, which was picked off by Buffalo linebacker Khalil Hodge. Hodge ran the ball 33 yards to the Bull’s 49-yard line, and offensive lineman Joe Lowery forced a fumble, which Rourke recovered. 

Wednesday’s win implications

With Wednesday’s win, Ohio kept its chances of a MAC Champions alive. The Bobcats will now hope the Bulls lose to Bowling Green next week. Bill Connelly, the creator of S&P+, gives Buffalo (9-2, 6-1 MAC) a 94 percent chance of beating the Falcons.

And even if Buffalo loses to end its season, Ohio will have to take care of business against Akron (4-5, 2-4 MAC) on Nov. 23. Kickoff is set for noon. 

If Ohio had beaten Miami last week in the “Battle of the Bricks,” all Ohio would’ve had to do was beat the Bulls and Zips to punch their ticket to Detroit. Instead, like last season, the Bobcats will not control their destiny and put it in the hands of a team that hasn’t had much success this season. Bowling Green is 2-8 on the season and 1-5 in MAC play. 

The Bobcats will just have to wait and see. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu