Ohio’s Gabe Lampron pursues a Lindenwood player with the puck during the two teams’ game on November 17, 2017. (FILE)

Hockey: League and national implications lie in Ohio's weekend series with Lindenwood

Ohio has had the lion’s share of adversity this season. Its last three weekend series have all been against teams ranked inside the top 10, one of which was Central States Collegiate Hockey League rival Iowa State.

Because of that grueling schedule, the Bobcats have been tested early in the schedule.

But their greatest test has been on the horizon, and now it’s here.

No. 4 Ohio (9-1-2) will resume its CSCHL season as No. 1 Lindenwood (14-0-0) comes to Athens for a weekend series that holds both league and national implications.

Ohio has had unprecedented success against Lindenwood in Bird Arena over the last two seasons. During the 2017-18 season, it swept Lindenwood behind two impressive efforts. In Friday’s game of that series, junior Tyler Harkins scored the game’s only goal with just a second left in regulation. The following night, the Bobcats rode their emotional victory and won in a dominant 4-1 performance over the then-No. 3 team in the country.

Going back even further, in 2016, Ohio swept Lindenwood again by a combined 9-2 score.

“I don’t know if we’ve ever played the No. 1 team since I’ve been here,” coach Sean Hogan said. “I am excited, it’s going to be one of those games where we have to work extremely hard and extremely fast.”

While the Lions are the top-ranked team in the country, that fact hasn’t changed the logistics of the Bobcats’ preparation this past week during practice. There was, however, a bit more attention to the little things that Ohio believes will help it achieve two more wins on the season.

“We had guys out there early at practice today which is not always the case,” Hogan said.

Some of the Bobcats’ best offensive weapons were among those on the ice prior to the practice including Harkins, Cody Black and Bryan Lubin. Those forwards, along with Gianni Evangelisti, will have to play at their best this weekend.

“I think we just have to stick to our game and play hard,” Evangelisti said. “We need to get in there on the forecheck and just pressure their D.”

All elements of Ohio’s game are noted by how quickly all of its skaters can move up and down the ice. Specifically in the transition game, the Bobcats routinely use their speed to press against opposing defenses.

This weekend is no exception.

Defensively, the Bobcats are looking to be more physical throughout the games, not just in certain moments.

“We have to play physical,” defenseman Grant Hazel said. “That’s probably going to be the hardest thing to do with (Lindenwood) because they’re fast and big.”

Hazel alluded to the fact that if the defense can win the simple puck battles and control possession, they give the offense more chances. And more chances, means more goals.

“Right now, we really need to leave it all out there.”

As the Lions make the nearly 530-mile road trip to Athens, Hogan and team are both excited and ready for this weekend.

“I don’t know if they’ve played anyone as good as us,” Hogan said. “I have a ton of confidence in our guys. Things are going to happen quick on that ice at Bird, not a lot of room out there with two big, fast teams.

“It’s going to be a heck of a weekend.”

Ohio’s “heck of a weekend” begins with the standard 7:30 p.m. puck drop Friday night.

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu