Ben Vander Plas attempts a shot during Ohio’s win over Iona on Tuesday. 

Men's Basketball: Ben Vander Plas shines again in Ohio's 89-65 win over Iona

Ben Vander Plas wants to help Ohio win any way they can.

It’s such a cliche answer from lunch pail-type players such as the redshirt freshman Vander Plas. But it’s largely true. His blue-collar approach continues to be a pillar in Ohio’s success this season. Coming off the bench, scoring when he can and grabbing rebounds. He’s added taking charges to his repertoire, too. 

But his role is ever-changing, and after an 89-65 demolition of Iona on Tuesday night at The Convo, coach Saul Phillips is exploring his options on how to expand Vander Plas’ duties.

“I absolutely have talked to my staff at length about different ways that we can get him more minutes,” Phillips said. “With that kind of production, we’re going to have to.”

Vander Plas came off the bench and tallied career-highs in points (18) and rebounds (11) in 25 minutes. He’s becoming more comfortable on the floor with each passing game, and starting to resemble what Gavin Block already has been for the Bobcats for three years.

Block takes charges like his life depends on it; Vander Plas took a couple against Iona. Block has range from the 3-point line; Vander Plas knocked down three 3s himself. Block scraps for rebounds; Vander Plas is beginning to do so as well.

But Vander Plas is only a second-year player coming off the bench in his sixth career game. One of the referees asked Phillips toward the end of the game if Vander Plas was a graduate transfer. Vander Plas plays like a veteran. But he’s just scratching the surface of what he can do in an Ohio uniform.

“Coming to college, having to come off the bench, it’s a new experience,” he said. “But I just have to roll with it.”

When Ohio stepped on the gas and began to dominate Iona in the second half, Vander Plas was quiet. He only had five second-half points. But his output in the first half was part of the reason Ohio had a lead to expand on in the first place. 

His 13 first-half points helped the Bobcats to a four-point edge over the Gaels at halftime. His 3-point shooting continues to provide instant offense for the Bobcats. But he isn’t afraid to score in the paint, either. He had six points inside the paint.

His second half performance featured some dirty work: Five points, nine rebounds, two assists and a block. If that stat line wasn’t gritty enough, Vander Plas took a page out of Block’s book and began to throw his body around the paint defensively, luring driving Iona players into offensive fouls. 

He’s becoming an all-around player.

“I’m just doing whatever I can do to help the team win,” Vander Plas said.

As Vander Plas grows into Ohio’s offense — and overall game plan — Phillips continues to become more excited about Vander Plas’ future performances.

Only six games in, Phillips feels like Vander Plas can be a huge influence on Ohio’s win total this season.

Then again, Vander Plas did say he wants to help Ohio win any way he can.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu