7 cheap and easy ways to customize your school spirit wear

Participating in school spirit or repping university apparel are great ways to radiate school pride around campus for upcoming games and everyday basis. Showing spirit can be easily affordable and does not equate to breaking the bank on official university wear or popular online stores. In fact, there are an excessive amount of cost-effective ways to refurbish and customize the school spirit clothes you may already have on hand. Good news — you’ll only need a trusty pair of scissors, a favorite oversized T-shirt/sweatshirt, an old shoelace or two, and common household/dorm room items. Here are seven budget-friendly ways to customize your school spirit wear:

Lace-up Sweatshirt

With the cool weather underway, it is finally time to unearth all the cozy university sweatshirts. The lace-up trend is the perfect user-friendly way to recycle old articles and repurpose them for your next sporting event or tailgate. With no sewing needed, you’ll only need scissors and an old shoe lace for this low-cost project. 

Shred Your Shirt

View this post on Instagram

Vacation on our mind ? #snippedandstyled

A post shared by Snipped And Styled By Remilub™ (@snippedandstyled) on

Channel a grungy look by carefully applying cuts to random areas of your T-shirt or long sleeve of choice. Make sure to cut off the hems of the sleeve cuff and bottom of shirt to make it appear more distressed. 

Acid Wash

With just a rubber band and bleach, you can turn a plain T-shirt into an edgy tie-dye masterpiece. Creating the effect is a simple task that consists of twisting the shirt, securing with a rubber band and soaking the shirt in a solution of bleach and water. Proceed with caution by protecting your eyes, skin and surrounding surfaces.

Knotted Crop Top

View this post on Instagram

UPenn perfection #snippedandstyled

Revamp your favorite university T-shirt by adding a little front knot. With just a pair of scissors, you can easily personalize your tee within a few moments to sport around campus and glow with school spirit. 

T-Shirt to T-Dress

It’s time to give the pile of over-sized T-shirts a purpose beyond sleepwear. Salvage a shirt in a unique, flattering way by styling it as a mini dress. Cut off the sleeves and accessorize with a belt for a more fitting shape.  

Off The Shoulder

View this post on Instagram

spooky szn w my spooky sissssy

A post shared by madi lew ✰ (@maadilewellyn) on

Modernize your stiff crew necks by softening around the edges. The “off-the-shoulder” look can be easily achieved by removing the high collar and hems around the shirt. Without the blood, sweat or tears, you can easily change an old tee into your “go-to” game wear. 

Tube Top

View this post on Instagram

• tie back tubeeeesss •

A post shared by Snipped By @stephaniedresher✂️ (@snippedbysteph) on

Expand your wardrobe further by raiding your own closet. It is fairly easy to convert a forgotten T-shirt to a trendy tube top without sewing included in the equation. Make sure to pair your tube top with a fuzzy jacket or cozy cardigan to keep you warm during the game.

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu