Athens Uncorked, located at 14 Station St. (FILE)

Weekender Briefs: Enjoy a stand-up comedy show; dance in costumes with DJ B-Funk

Friday

Encore: Presented by Dan Lasure at 8 p.m. in Baker Theater. Dan Lasure will perform his largest stand-up special yet. There is an entrance fee, but all proceeds will be donated to the Ohio University American Sign Language Club. Come out to show your support while simultaneously enjoying some laughs.

Admission: $3

Trust Me Dance and Costume Party with DJ B-Funk at 10 p.m. at Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St. Halloween may have come and gone, but that costume was expensive. You don’t have to wait until next year to bust it out again. Dust off your Halloween costume (or any costume) and come to Casa to bust a move to the groovy sounds of DJ B-Funk.

Admission: Free

Saturday

Athens Open Mic: Rachel Bellyflop at 8 p.m. at the Front Room Coffeehouse. Come to Blue Pencil Comedy’s show Saturday to see OU student and comedian Rachel Bishop belly-flop off the stage and into the audience. An audience needs to be there to save her from faceplanting onto the Front Room floor, so come help Bishop crowd-surf and have some laughs.

Admission: Free

Yule Ball 2018 at 7 p.m. in Baker Ballroom. The OU Harry Potter Alliance will host its fourth annual evening of magic on Saturday, with food, drink, music and decorations to rival the Great Hall. Proceeds will go to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

Admission: $15 for single tickets; $25 for couples

Shimmering Silver Flute Quartet at 8 p.m. at Athens Uncorked, 14 Station St. Come support OU music students as they perform a wide variety of music as a flute quartet at Athens Uncorked. From classical music to jazz to holiday music, the Shimmering Silver Flute Quartet is sure to play something that will tickle your fancy.

Admission: Free

The D-Rays, Red Lake and Kookie Kutters at 9 p.m. at the Smiling Skull Saloon, 108 W. Union St. Come to the Smiling Skull to listen to two local bands, The D-Rays and Red Lake, and Cleveland’s the Kookie Cutters for what the Facebook event describes as “a diverse night of music.” 

Admission: $3

Sunday

Holiday Craft Swap at 2 p.m. at ARTS/West, 132 W. State St. It’s like a holiday gift swap, but with homemade crafts instead. It’s cheaper and it comes from the heart, so come on down to ARTS/West to flex some creative muscles and spread some holiday cheer.

Admission: Free

Movies to see at The Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St.

Beautiful Boy (rated R): Friday, 5:15 p.m.; Saturday, 5:15 and 7:30 p.m.; Sunday, 5:15 and 7:30 p.m.

Boy Erased (rated R): Friday, 5:05, 7:25 and 9:40 p.m.; Saturday 2:40, 5:05, 7:25 and 9:40 p.m.; Sunday, 2:40, 5:05, 7:25 and 9:40 p.m.

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (rated R): Friday, 7:35, 9:45; Saturday, 2:45 , 5:10, 7:35 and 9:45 p.m.; Sunday, 2:45, 5:10, 7:35 and 9:45 p.m.

Elf (rated PG): Saturday, 1 and 3 p.m.

Wildlife (rated PG-13): Friday, 9:50 p.m.; Saturday, 9:50 p.m.; Sunday, 2:50 and 9:50 p.m.

@morris_wein

mw774315@ohio.edu