The exterior of Casa Nueva, 6. W. State St. (FILE)

Weekender Briefs: Watch a documentary about The Union; enjoy a range of live music acts

Friday

The Picardy Thirds Showcase at 7:30 p.m. in Baker Theater. Come see The Picardy Thirds host its annual showcase, singing everything the group has worked on all semester. The group performs some of the best a capella in Athens. 

Admission: $3

ACRN Media Presents: Battle of the Bands at 9 p.m. at The Union Bar and Grill, 18 W. Union St. Come watch seven local bands battle it out for a chance to win $150. Sneakthief, Uncle Attica, Velvet Green, Sweat Workers, Raw Canvas, Darwin Evolution and Infinite Improbability Drive will be jamming hard, and the crowd will decide the winner. 

Admission: $5

80s Night with DJ Barticus at 10 p.m. at Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St. “Oh, yes, it's ‘80s Night. And the feeling's right. Oh, yes, it's ‘80s Night. Oh, what a night!” Come down to Casa for the famed ‘80s night, brought to you by the one and only DJ Barticus — a true local legend.

Admission: $3 

Saturday

The Larger Sound at 7 p.m. at Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Road. The Lager Sounds returns to Little Fish. With music influenced by bands like Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Sufjan Stevens and The Lumineers, the band won’t rock your socks off, but rather gently rock you into a nice relaxed mood while you enjoy Little Fish’s wonderful brews and atmosphere.

Admission: Free

EDDA at 8 p.m. at Athens Uncorked, 14 Station St. Come see EDDA play some groovy chill-out music, with sounds from both the saxophone and the flute. The Facebook events speaks for itself, preparing potential attendees to “expand your consciousness as you float on pulsing down-tempo, chill-out, dub, and deep house beats, mixed with jazz, and bossa nova, layered with live saxophone and flute lines.”

Admission: Free

The Last Call: The Union Documentary Premiere at 9 p.m. at, you guessed it, The Union. Come watch the premiere of the documentary The Last Call, a feature-length documentary focused on Athens’ music scene and the 2014 Union Street fire. 

Admission: $6

Sunday

Anna Stine: Homecoming Tour at 6 p.m. at Casa Nueva. Anna Stine returns to Athens on her Homecoming Tour in celebration of the release of her debut album, Company of Now. Come on down to support the local musician and Ohio University alumna turned professional musician. Her energetic bluegrass vibes will go great with some Mexican food served up Casa-style.

Admission: Free

Movies to see at The Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St.

Beautiful Boy (rated R): Friday, 5:15, 7:30 and 9:45 p.m.; Saturday, 2:55, 5:15, 7:30 and 9:45 p.m.; Sunday, 2:55, 5:15, 7:30 and 9:45 p.m.

Free Solo (rated PG-13): Friday, 5:10 p.m.; Saturday, 5:10 p.m.; Sunday, 5:10 p.m.

Mid90s (unrated): Friday, 9:40 p.m.; Saturday, 9:40 p.m.; Sunday, 9:40 p.m.

Suspiria (rated R): Friday, 7:10 p.m.; Saturday, 2:30 and 7:10 p.m.; Sunday, 2:30 and 7:10 p.m.

Wildlife (rated PG-13): Friday, 5:20, 7:35 and 10 p.m.; Saturday, 2:50, 5:20, 7:35 and 10 p.m.; Sunday, 2:50, 5:20, 7:35 and 10 p.m.

@morris_wein

mw774315@ohio.edu