Quarterback Nathan Rourke drops back to pass against Western Michigan on Nov. 1. (FILE)

Football: Ohio will head to Frisco Bowl to face San Diego State

Editor’s note: This story will be updated as it develops. 

Ohio will play San Diego State in the DXL Frisco Bowl in Frisco, Texas, on Dec. 19, the Mid-American Conference announced Sunday afternoon.

The bowl berth is Ohio’s 10th under coach Frank Solich. The Bobcats had been to two bowl games in program history prior to Solich’s arrival in Athens. They’re 3-6 in bowl games under Solich.

This will be their first appearance in the Frisco Bowl, which began last year and is played at Toyota Stadium. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. on ESPN. The Frisco Bowl is owned and operated by ESPN Events, a division of ESPN.

San Diego State finished the regular season 7-5 and 4-4 in the Mountain West West Division. The Aztecs were 7-2, but are riding a three-game losing streak into the bowl season. They have notable wins over Arizona State, Boise State and Air Force. The Aztecs are coached by Rocky Long.

The Bobcats finished the regular season with an 8-4 record, including wins over MAC East Division winner Buffalo and on the road at Western Michigan. Ohio was 6-2 in the MAC, but lost to Virginia and Cincinnati during the nonconference portion of the schedule.

Ohio and San Diego State have never played each other.

Last year, the Bobcats defeated UAB in the Bahamas Bowl, 41-6. Nathan Rourke was 12 of 18 for 185 yards and two touchdowns. Dorian Brown rushed for 152 yards and four touchdowns, while A.J. Ouellette surpassed the 1,000-yard rushing mark for the season. 

Other MAC bowl berths

Eastern Michigan will face Georgia Southern in the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl in Montgomery, Alabama.

Toledo will head to the Bahamas for a matchup with Florida International.

Western Michigan will play BYU in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

MAC champion Northern Illinois will play UAB in the Boca Raton Bowl.

Buffalo will head to Mobile, Alabama, for a matchup with Troy in the Dollar General Bowl.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu