Police cars parked outside the Athens Police Department on Sept. 18, 2017. (FILE)

Mohammed Nasser Al-Mashrafi appeared in court for arraignment

Mohammed Nasser Rashid Hamed Al-Mashrafi appeared in court on Wednesday for arraignment on an indictment of nine charges. 

Al-Mashrafi, 23, of Athens, had a bond set by the court at $5 million with no 10 percent allowed. He is scheduled for a jury trial on Feb. 28, 2019.

Prosecutor Keller Blackburn said in a release that Al-Mashrafi is an Ohio University student in the United States on a student visa from Oman. He is accused of stalking multiple women in and around Athens and stalking them through social media accounts. 

“Al-Mashrafi is further accused of visiting a local spa where he was observed fondling himself and, upon being asked to leave, refused to pay for his services and ultimately left without paying,” Blackburn said in a release. 

On Dec. 5, Al-Mashrafi was arrested for rape and abduction by the Athens Police Department. His behavior escalated, and he is alleged to have held a woman against her will and forcing himself on her sexually, Blackburn said in the release.

He is charged with three counts of gross sexual imposition, a fourth degree felony; rape, a first degree felony; kidnapping, a first degree felony; intimidation of an attorney, victim or witness in a criminal case, a third degree felony; public indecency, a third degree misdemeanor; and two counts of menacing by stalking, a first degree misdemeanor.

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu