Ohio's Kaylee Bambule heads for the basket during the Bobcats’ game against Coppin State on Dec. 8.

Women's Basketball: Ohio breaks program record, remains undefeated in 109-58 win over Richmond

Ohio’s offense scored the most points in a game since 2014 to defeat Richmond on Saturday afternoon at the Robins Center. The Bobcats moved to 10-0 this season and have accomplished the best start in program history.

Here are three takeaways from Ohio’s win.

Offense torches Spiders

Ohio nearly broke every season-high in the offensive category in Saturday’s blowout.

Field goals made (40). Field goals attempted (69). 3-pointers made (16). Assists (24).

Yes, the Bobcats set new season-highs in all those categories. Ohio’s offense couldn’t be stopped, and its 109 points, 13 away from tying the program’s all-time record, was the most its had since scoring 111 points in 2014 against Murray State. 

The Bobcats won the Mid-American Conference Tournament that season.

Ohio also showed great ball control — it committed a season-low nine turnovers — on Saturday and outscored Richmond 48-18 in the paint. Everything was working, and the Bobcats added another game to their lengthy list of blowouts.

Although it’s unlikely Ohio reaches this level of statistical dominance in another game this season, its offense is certainly clicking at a good time. The Bobcats are two weeks away from their MAC schedule, and the first two games are against Buffalo and Central Michigan, the only two teams with a higher RPI ranking than Ohio.

Career-bests from Burke, Burris

Amani Burke and Gabby Burris were the beneficiaries of Ohio’s near record-breaking offensive performance.

Burke scored 24 points and eclipsed her career-best 21-point mark set last season, while Burris drained a career-high six 3-pointers on eight attempts. Burris also scored 24 points and came one point shy from tying her career-best.

The duo shot a combined 15-for-24 on field goals and created a threat too big for Richmond’s defense, which averaged 66.2 points allowed before Saturday.

Consistency issues still remain

In their biggest wins this season, the Bobcats have typically taken a quarter or two to heat up, and Saturday was no different.

The Bobcats were trailing by one point, 18-17, after the first quarter and were 6-for-15 from the field and couldn’t pull ahead of Richmond, which shot 8-for-21.

It ultimately meant nothing in the final score and was far from the Bobcats’ worst quarter of the season, but it’d still be hard to chalk up the win as a complete-game victory. It’s something that coach Bob Boldon has been longing for all season, and despite Ohio’s undefeated record, it’s rarely happened. 

What’s next

Ohio will travel to American University on Dec. 29. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu