Football: 2018 DXL Frisco Bowl gameday guide

FRISCO, Texas — Frank Solich took a pause, then dove into his answer. 

At Tuesday’s press conference, Solich was asked what this senior class means to him. It’s a question that’s been asked countless times — and will continue to be asked — as this season comes to a close. It’s a senior class that helped the coach reach the 2016 Mid-American Conference Championship game, win the 2017 Bahamas Bowl and be consistent winners. 

On Wednesday night in the DXL Frisco Bowl, this group of seniors will have the opportunity to win in green and white one last time. A win against San Diego State (7-5) would give the Bobcats (8-4) a second-straight nine-win season and, for the second time in program history, back-to-back bowl game victories. 

For guys like A.J. Ouellette, Kylan Nelson and many more, it will be their last game to prove their worth to NFL scouts. For Solich, it’s an opportunity to beat Rocky Long, a peer he has much respect for. 

Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. EST (7 p.m. CST local) at Toyota Stadium. ESPN will televise the game.

Below is a guide to gameday with how to follow along, depth charts, who has the edge, a reading guide, Toyota Stadium information and our predictions.

Following along

How to watch: Wednesday will mark Ohio’s only game on ESPN — but its fourth on an ESPN network — this season. It can be seen on ESPN or online here. Kevin Brown, Andre Ware and Kris Budden will have the call.

How to listen: The game can be heard on the Ohio IMG Sports Network — as usual, Russ Eisenstein and Rob Cornelius will be behind the mic. The broadcasts are available online through OhioBobcats.com and TuneIn.com/OhioBobcats

How to find stats: Click here for stats. 

Depth charts

football Frisco.jpg

football Frisco2.jpg

The edge

When Ohio has the ball: The Bobcats have a stable of capable runners, and quarterback Nathan Rourke is included in that fold. Running backs A.J. Ouellette and Maleek Irons will have their hands full trying to find holes in SDSU’s run defense — the fourth-best in college football — but Rourke’s legs could provide the difference Ohio needs. 

Receivers Papi White, Andrew Meyer and Cam Odom will need to find room in the back end of the Atzecs’ defense to force them to drop into coverage. If the receivers can do that, Ohio could find running lanes.

Edge: Draw

When SDSU has the ball: Ohio has one of the best run defenses in the MAC. SDSU has one of the best run offenses in the entire country. Running back Juwan Washington could have been in the top tier of the nation in rushing if he was healthy all season. Even with the injury, Washington has nearly 900 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns on the year.

Ohio’s secondary can’t fall asleep and get beat in the play action. If the Bobcats give up big plays, this game could be troublesome for them.

Edge: SDSU

Toyota Stadium

Opened Aug. 6, 2005, Toyota Stadium is located at the intersection of Main Street and Dallas North Tollway in Frisco, Texas. It is the home stadium of the MLS’ FC Dallas. It also hosts the FCS Championship Game and the Frisco Bowl, as well a variety of concerts, tournaments and other events.

Toyota Stadium follows a clear bag policy. Each fan can enter Toyota Stadium with one large clear bag (14 inches by 14 inches by 6 inches, or a one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag). 

The main box office is located on the north side of the stadium. The box office opens four hours prior to the start of events.

Reading guide

Predictions 

Spencer: I think Ohio is going to have a tough time running the football. SDSU is one of the best defenses Ohio has faced in a couple years, and Ohio will have to find a way to move the ball throughout the game. Nathan Rourke is obviously a capable passer, and the wide receivers have big play ability.

The Bobcats’ defense needs to stay gap-sound to contain Juwan Washington and force Ryan Agnew to beat them with his arm. They can do that enough. Ohio wins 27-21.

Pete: Bowl games can be won and lost before the game due to the distractions that come with bowl game festivities. For Ohio, the senior class believes that it wasn’t too distracted this week in Frisco. If Ohio can establish a run game, Nathan Rourke runs the read option well and the Bobcats’ defense holds strong against a powerful Aztec run game, they will have a strong opportunity to win. 

But a lopsided margin after the first quarter or early Aztec scores could kill the Bobcats, just like earlier this season. It will be a low-scoring, grind it out type of game. Ohio wins 24-17. 

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu