An OUPD cruiser parked outside the department’s headquarters in Scott Quad. (FILE)

Police Blotter: OU student found passed out near Nelson Dining Hall; pitbulls prevent break in

In case anyone wants to get food at Nelson Dining Hall while they’re drunk, keep in mind that it closes at 8 p.m.

An Ohio University Police Department officer found a man passed out near the entrance to the garage underneath Nelson Dining Hall on Saturday at about 1 a.m. 

The student had bloodshot eyes, was unsteady on his feet and his breath smelled of alcohol. He was issued a citation for disorderly conduct by intoxication and taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail pending his sobriety. 

Good dogs

On Nov. 28, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to New Marshfield Road for an attempted burglary report. 

The caller said their family had returned home and noticed someone had tampered with a bedroom window. The caller believed their pitbulls deterred the suspect from entering the residence.

Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to contact the sheriff’s office.

Into the wild

On Sunday, the sheriff’s office responded to Vanderhoof Road for a suspicious person complaint. 

Deputies made contact at a residence with a man, who claimed to have been lost in woods for several days, according to the report. The suspect had an injury on his foot that needed medical attention. He also complained of suffering from exposure to the elements. 

The subject was transported to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital by Athens EMS for medical treatment.

Knock knock

On Friday, the sheriff’s office responded to Smith Road for a patrol request. 

Hunters from out of town said someone had pounded on the front door of their Airbnb. The hunters said they checked the area but did not find anyone. 

Deputies patrolled the area thoroughly but did not locate anyone. They stayed in the area but did not receive any additional calls regarding the matter.

Rev it up

The sheriff’s office responded to Brimstone Road for a loud noise complaint Sunday. 

The anonymous caller reported that their neighbor was revving his motorcycle’s engine late at night. Deputies patrolled the area on the road but “observed no person out revving up a motorcycle,” according to the report.

Deputies received no additional calls about the noise. It was determined to be unfounded, and deputies resumed regular patrol.

Annoying relatives

On Sunday, the sheriff’s office responded to a suspicious person report on Vanderhoof Road. 

The man said a woman knocked on his door asking for help. Upon arrival, the woman said she was riding with her sister and her sister's boyfriend when there was a verbal dispute, and she was dropped off on the side of the road, according to the report. 

The woman said she was fine and just needed a ride to a nearby relative’s house. Deputies transported her without incident, and no further assistance was requested.

What percent are you at?

The sheriff’s office responded to Vore Ridge Road for a suspicious person report Sunday.

The caller said a man had knocked on their door asking to come inside to charge his phone. The caller felt the man was acting suspicious, so the caller told him to leave, according to the report. 

The man eventually left their porch, but the caller was not sure if he was still in the area. Deputies searched the property on foot and patrolled the area for the man. There was no additional contact, and the caller was advised to call back if the man returned.

@ktlynmcgrvy

km451814@ohio.edu