Ohio guard Amani Burke drives toward the basket during the game against Coppin State on Saturday.

Women's Basketball: Fast reactions from Ohio's 87-62 win over Coppin State

Ohio welcomed winless Coppin State to The Convo on Saturday afternoon with hopes of improving to its best start in 33 years. After a slow start, Ohio dominated the Eagles in the second half winning 87-62.

Here are four reactions from the Bobcats’ win:

No pain, no gain

Amani Burke was in a walking boot Friday, nursing a sprained ankle that she received in Ohio’s win over Purdue. On Saturday, she was in the starting lineup with no signs of pain. While Ohio’s offense sputtered in the first half, Burke carried the load with 10 points.  Burke finished with 18 points and four assists. 

Slow starts are becoming common 

Ohio’s last four games all have something in common: A lackluster start on offense. The Bobcats have averaged 14.75 points in the first quarter over the span, and the trend continued Saturday when the Bobcats were tied at 13 after the first quarter. Ohio’s second half offense explosions always seems to come, but once the Bobcats start to enter conference play they may want to kick that habit. 

The Cece Hooks run 

When Ohio goes on a run it’s very predictable because it seems to always start the same way. Cece Hooks drifts off her assignment, jumps the passing lane, steals the ball and nonchalantly trots down the court for an easy layup. While it’s debatable who the best player on Ohio’s roster is, it’s clear that Hooks is the Bobcats’ most influential player. When she’s playing well, the Bobcats play well.   

Boldon’s best start 

The Bobcats’ win improved them to 8-0 on the year, the best start in the Bob Boldon era. The last time the Bobcats started 8-0 was the 1985-1986 season, which Ohio finished 26-3, won the Mid-American Conference regular season and tournament championship. The Bobcats also made their first NCAA Tournament appearance in school history. 

No place like home

Saturday was the last time fans got to see the Bobcats in The Convo in •2018. The Bobcats have made good use of their home-heavy schedule so far this season. While the Bobcats played two games on the road in the Denver Thanksgiving Classic, the Bobcats have yet to have a true road game. Ohio’s first road game will be next Sunday Dec.16 at IUPUI. Ohio won’t return to The Convo until Jan. 9, when they welcome MAC foe Central Michigan.  

@JL_Kirven

jk810916@ohio.edu