Nathan Rourke handles the ball during Ohio’s win over San Diego State in the DXL Frisco Bowl. (Maddie Schroeder | Ohio Athletics)

Football: Fast reactions from Ohio's DXL Frisco Bowl win over San Diego State

FRISCO, Texas — Ohio defeated San Diego State 27-0 in the DXL Frisco Bowl on Wednesday night at Toyota Stadium. Running back A.J. Ouellette ran for 164 yards 29 carries to carry the Bobcats’ offense, which finished with 421 total yards. 

Here are three fast reactions from Ohio’s win over the Aztecs:

1. Closing time

At Tuesday’s press conference, Ouellette made the comment he at least wanted 120 yards in his final game wearing the green and white. He did that and more, making sure the Bobcats secured the win in his last game. 

The former walk on turned star finishes his career in the top ten in rushing yards. From Division VII in Covington, Ouellette made his way up the ranks to be one of the best backs of the coach Frank Solich era. 

2. Back-to-back

For the second time in program history, Ohio has won back-to-back bowl games. The first of back-to-back wins came in 2011 and 2012, with wins in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl and the Independence Bowl. 

The Bobcats have also secured back-to-back nine wins seasons. It’s the sixth time a Solich led Ohio team has won nine or more games, and the second to do so in back-to-back seasons. Prior to Solich’s arrival in Athens, the Bobcats had just made one bowl game appearance. 

Wednesday night marked the 10th appearance under Solich. 

3. Fighting Franks

Headed into Wednesday night’s game one of the biggest storylines was the matchup of coaches between Solich and SDSU’s Rocky Long. Both from an older generation of coaching, each believe that the game is won in the trenches, and prefer the grind it out running attitude. 

The two coaches combined had 299 wins headed into the game. 

It was Solich who picked up win No. 300. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu