Athen's Logan Maxfield (#25) prepares to dodge Vinton County's Cameron Hamon (#20) during a tournament game at Logan High School in on Friday, February 23. Vinton County would go on to win this game 69-60.

Athens Basketball: Bulldogs have the chance to bounce back from last-second loss

Athens will have the opportunity to rebound from a last-second loss Friday as it plays Marietta on Tuesday at home in a nonconference game.

The loss Friday to Vinton County was Athens’ (9-4, 7-1 TVC-Ohio) first loss in the Tri-Valley Conference this season. The Bulldogs had won their first seven games beforehand. 

In its last two games, Athens has had one dominating quarter, but three even quarters. Coach Mickey Cozart wants the Bulldogs to work on stringing together more good quarters. 

The Bulldogs were without starting point guard Elijah Williams on Friday, and the offense struggled in the first half, only scoring 15 points. Brayden Markings replaced him in the starting lineup, scoring 11 points, which included the game-tying bucket with seven seconds left. 

Athens’ main problem was turnovers. The Bulldogs had eight in the first quarter, but they adjusted and had only eight more after. 

Marietta comes into this game having won four of its last six games and sporting a 5-8 record. The Tigers are coming off an overtime win against Williamstown, in which Marietta had to claw back from a 19-3 deficit after the first quarter.

Tuesday’s game is important for Athens to get back on track before it plays conference rival Nelsonville-York on Friday.

@TheEricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu