Athens City Councilman Patrick McGee listens to a speaker during the city council meeting on Monday, January 14, 2019.

City Council: Complete Streets program would increase pedestrian safety

Correction appended.

Athens City Council met Monday night to discuss an amendment on Complete Streets, a program that encourages non-motorized transportation through sidewalks and bikeways.

Complete Streets helps make roads safer when pedestrians cross the streets, bike and walk to shops.

“These are streets that are for everyone. They are designed and operated to enable safe access for all users including pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and transit riders of all ages and abilities,” Peter Kotses, D-At Large, said. 

Kotses also brought up potential transits that need to be considered such as autonomous vehicles in Athens.       

Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, also introduced a resolution on Home Rules, which allows cities the right to govern themselves. Fahl said in the past few years Home Rules has become less enforced. 

Fahl also introduced a resolution on the government shutdown. Even though the shutdown is over, Mayor Steve Patterson suggested a resolution on preventing another shutdown.

“A lot of people were hurt. Approximately 800,000 people in this nation were hurt by that government shutdown,” Patterson said.

Councilwoman Sarah Grace discussed the other ways that the government shutdown affected the Athens area. Grace listed the small businesses which relied on customers that could not afford to buy from that operation as an example.

@erinfranczak22

ef441614@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report misstated when the city council meeting was held. The story has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.